cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Fiber to premises fault

Thank you.  So in terns of getting this fixed what do I do.  We've already had one open reach engineer out without a solution and BT's phone operators have no power at all: as far as they are concerned I have to jump through the hoop of awaiting my own open reach engineer on Tuesday as they are not willing / able to look at the situation holistically across the multiple affected houses.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Each fault will be dealt with separately until such time as a common connection can be found. 
Let your engineer do their investigations, and make their calls. If it is the CP link, then you should find that they are already aware due to your neighbours fault report and have a plan in place to fix it.

Message 13 of 19

Unfortunately it’s a question that’s difficult if not impossible for anyone outside that particular function with either BT or Openreach to answer , it seems odd to me , especially with faults , that the first point of of reference is always Openreach , even with faults that with the most basic first level diagnosis,  indicates that the problem is almost certainly nothing to do with OR , but OR are tasked to check anyway, and they waste their own time and add delay by making an unnecessary visit ,( although your case isn’t the baser example of this ) in many cases simply to pass the fault onto the appropriate  group or maybe even a separate company , that probably should have been the initial response by the CP .

I don’t it unreasonable in these cases for OR to close the fault ,  if it’s not a fault on the OR side , but on the CP side it should remain open , just moved to the correct location, this may well be the case here , OR have closed the fault as it’s not an OR issue , but another group still have the report as ongoing, hopefully its not the case that OR closing the fault , means the CP thinks the issue is resolved,  that would needs someone intimately involved in process to comment.

IMHO, it’s Ofcom are responsible for the somewhat ridiculous way the various elements involved have to communicate with each other , so as Openreach are not seem to have any special relationship with any particular CP .
All you can do ( I suspect ) is to try and get confirmation that the fault is still active and being dealt with .

Message 14 of 19

Thanks very much for the advice both of you 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Doubt it’s the Fibre Cable if all 3 Subs have a Solid PON with a Good Light Loss.

As they’ve got no Authentication I’d imagine it’s either a Fault with the CP Hydra Link to Openreaches Head End or something wrong with the CP Backhaul Equipment.

If Openreach prove either to be Faulty it’s up to the CP to fix that as it forms part of the Backhaul Network, which Openreach don’t Maintain.

The CP in Openreaches case would be BT Wholesale.

Message 16 of 19

This is all interesting sruff and demonstrates the complexity of fault-finding, and the OFCOM rules that make relations between BT and Openreach difficult.
But, customers have a contract with their communication provider (in this case BT retail) to provide them with a broadband and telephone service. When customers report that their service is not working, the best practice would be for BT to assign an agent to "own" the issue until the customer reports it is solved. The agent should have the power to pursue the appropriate people in BT and Openreach to get the issue resolved and should not close the issue until it is resolved. The customer should not be fobbed off with the buck-passing that currently seems to go on and seems to cause so much delay in fixing faults.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

My comment wasn’t anything to do with who the OP needed to speak to and or who to chase ref to the fault.

I was merely pointing out your inaccurate fault diagnosis;

Quote ‘This has to be an issue with the fibre optic cable or its connections.’

From my experiences working with Fibre Optic Networks, specifically Openreaches I don’t believe a faulty Fibre Optic Cable and or a Bad Splice or Bad SC to SC Connection would cause an Authentication Issue on the Router.

Message 18 of 19

Thanks for your input. I will run this all by the engineer when he comes if he can't sort the issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Ask if they can get someone to look at the whole PON for alarms, there is a chance it could be a faulty/rogue ONT causing weird issues, it has been seen a few times  and causes odd problems on other customers circuits.

0 Ratings