cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Fibre 1 downgraded?

Hi all,

We have been getting a steady 35-40Mbps speed for the last five years or so on the 'Fibre 1' contract. I notice recently the speeds have been slowing down. Having done speed tests we are now getting about 20-25Mbps during the day, dropping to less than 10Mbps in the evening. BT speed checker shows your 'hub speeds are as expected'.

Looking at the router profile we are now on  9.99/27.40. When I log into our 'my products' section of the bt page it shows our Normal available speeds as between 46-50Mbps and Minimum guaranteed as being 39mbps.

I had a look on the Upgrade offers page and that now shows all of the upgrade packages as having a 25Mbps max speed.

Does anyone know why our speed could have been downgraded?

Richard.

Router stats:

Screenshot 2023-08-03 095557.png

Exchange stats:

Screenshot 2023-08-03 102642.png

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Fibre 1 downgraded?

Depends what you mean by downgraded, BT don’t ‘decide’ to arbitrarily downgrade speeds , but the VDSL ‘system’ can reduce speed to aid stability, where something is affecting the usual performance, so an automated reduction may have taken place ,

Your  router uptime is only 10 hours , power going on and off can be interpreted as instability so DLM ( dynamic line management ) can step in , any problems with the power supply ?, other things like a line fault ( which can also cause a noise problem on non DV telephony ) can cause speeds via DLM to reduce….try connecting the router in the master socket test port ,  if you have wired extension sockets to eliminate the wiring and sockets, and if you have non DV telephony dial 17070 and take the quiet line test , if it’s not silent ( this is best done with a corded phone if you have one ) , report the line noisy … my guess is your line has some issues that’s reducing your speed, and need’s reporting to your provider, and as it’s below your minimum speed guarantee it should be investigated, but do the simple checks first , it could be something that BT or Openreach are not responsible for , if ( for example ) you had an old Sky TV box connected to the phone line and it’s introducing a problem that’s affecting your line

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi,

The router was automatically reset during the BT line test I followed on the app, previously it was on for over two weeks uninterrupted.

The router is plugged into the master socket and all of the other phone sockets had been disconnected when we last had the master socket faceplate changed, perhaps two or three years ago.

I can't understand why they are only showing us offers for a max 25Mbps speed when doing a check as new customer it advises 41-50Mb. It's as if there's some restriction based on the slower profile we are on?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Ignore any offers quoting speeds, that is just based on erroneous information due to the fault condition on your line.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

The quotes are based on your existing connection speed.  Interesting your up speed on 21/7/2023  shown on dslchecker was 11.39mb suggesting still on fibre 2 at that time

Have you tried quiet line test as suggested provided you do not have digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

If your line is faulty and the speed affected by this , your observed speed ( shown on the checker ) because it’s real data ( not some mathematical equation the post code checker uses ) any new contract speed estimate will be based on this real data , so if the line fault is reducing your real line speed data below the F1 threshold, you won’t be offered a new deal based on F2 speeds , because the real data suggests your line isn’t capable of achieving it ….get the line fixed , the speed improvement will be observed, and reflected in any new deal speed predictions, don’t get it fixed and the estimates will stay based on your faulty line .
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Interesting, that makes sense really with the offers.

Yes I did the quiet line test with a corded phone and can't hear any noise or artifacts on it at all. 

I went through all the speed checker on my bt app and it and came back with 26Mb download Green "Your hub speeds are as expected". Which if it's profiled as 27mb anyway then I suppose it doesn't see that there is anything wrong.

I suppose I should be looking at a line fault now?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Have you tried removing the faceolate and connecting the hub direct to the test socket and then see if that improves your connection stats. You may need to use an old filter to connect to test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Tried the test socket, the figures are almost identical apart from just over 1db less noise on the Line attenuation.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

the connection speed may be same but was there any improvement in attainable speed?

0 Ratings