cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving to a house with external fttp openreach box but no internal cable

Hi there,

I'm moving to a house soon and noticed it had an external Openreach box on the wall and with a single fibre cable entering it (from pole).

What I found odd was i could not see any second fibre coming out of it and no signs of fibre entering the property. 

Any idea why just an external installation may have been done? Also can the location of external box be relocated when they come to possibly complete the order? As it's currently oddly located on the wrong side of a door so an internal cable would need to be run under or above the door to a location with power 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving to a house with external fttp openreach box but no internal cable

Unless you can speak to the current resident then anything we say here is going to be speculation.  The box is a connection/service point, and in some cases, the connection into the house is hidden by the box, just as if it were a phone line.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

From that box they run a fibre to the ONS box which is a little square box with 4 lights on it. It’s inside which needs to be near your router to connect with a cat 5 cable  it needs a power socket though.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

My CSP is fed from an underground duct,.

The fibre to the ONT is made inside the box through the wall so is not visible.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thats same as mine underground ducting to box on outside. Then a thin fibre cable to the ONS which is in the bedroom. It was fastened to the outside of the house and then through the wall.

Sounds like theyve only put the fibre to the house on yours but no ONS as yet unless its hidden away somewhere

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

My direct neighbour's fibre enters using the conduit in place for the phone line that is behind the box and comes out where the old master socket used to be, and where the ONT is now mounted.

Unfortunately for me there are two sharp corners in the conduit and it was impossible to do the same as for my neighbour.  So my fibre had to come out of the CSP and enter the property through a new hole - credit here, it was incredibly neatly done!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Is this Openreach ‘box’ a CBT or a CSP ( assuming you are correct in thinking it’s part of the  ‘ fibre’ network ) , a CBT would be unusual unless the property in question was part of a terrace, and the copper pair distribution was from an external wall block , in which case the fibre distribution can simply mirror this , so the CBT is in effect simply the fibre equivalent and no distribution fibres to individual CSP are provided until some orders service, and that fibre is ‘cable on wall’ from the CBT to the CSP these CBT are normally at a height that cannot be reached without a ladder or similar  and would be pretty rare , flats above a row of shops would be a typical scenario.

If it’s a CSP ( more likely if it’s not a terraced property and served directly from the pole )  , then it would have been provided because of an order for FTTP for that property , so either the person ordering service changed their mind during the installation so the CSP was provided but they stopped the installer doing any further work , or ( more likely ) the internal fibre cable is taken through the back of the CSP into the building directly , so only the feed into the CSP is visible not the cable from the CSP  to the ONT , this is the case with the overwhelming majority of new builds , where the CSP is sited where the internal cable appears on the external wall , making a neater and arguably slightly more secure installation.

CSP are grey , CBT are black , if it’s unclear what type of ‘block’ it is ( it’s probably a CSP ) 

As far as moving it , once the installation is completed, the CSP located  presumably with the agreement of the previous occupant, then assuming they didn’t remove the ONT when they moved out , there is no reason to send an installer should a subsequent owner/tenant order FTTP over the OR network 

0 Ratings