cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Fibre 900 - slow download and upload speed

Hey,

First time poster - I just had full fibre 900 installed today. Download is meant to be 900 and upload is 100. My stayfast guarantee is 700.

I have used the BT app to do a speed test and it says ' sorry, we were not able to test your speed'

I have used fast.com which I've seen mentioned on other forum posts and my download speed is 67 and my upload is 19. These speeds are slower than what I had on my fibre 2 package.

My understanding was that there should be any settling in period with regards to speed, so I am a bit disappointed at the moment.

I am a complete novice so do let me know if more information is required? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fibre 900 - slow download and upload speed

It's as if your profile has not been updated yet.  If no change in couple of days then post back and mods will be able to help 

You can phone FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if they can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Thank you - I'll keep a check on it over the weekend!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Hey,

So the speed to the hub now seems to have normalised - although it has a times dropped well below the guarantee. But it seems to be getting better overall. 

I am not sure if you're able  to answer this...The two devices I have in the same room at the router are my PS5 and a Macbook Pro 2020. When I test these devices over WIFI whilst being literally a ft away I am only getting around 400 download. All other devices in my household I disconnected. How is the speed drop off so drastic over wifi when I am only arms length away? Is it the router or my devices? I'd expect some drop off over wifi...but its quite drastic. @imjolly 

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Download speed over wifi is not guaranteed but this post may help

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/BT-full-fiber-poor-wifi/m-p/2243105

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

We have the fibre 900 and a few days ago we had a BT engineer out for some lagging issues. During the conversation he mentioned that the HomeHUB is ‘only capable of delivering 400mb on a good day’ he then went on to say that the ‘sales people never tell you that’. He then said the only way of us getting anywhere close to the 900 is to plug in via the Ethernet network installed in our house (just discovered this doesn’t work as it should either).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

That definitely makes sense - the best I've got on any of my devices is between 400-500 download.

I wonder why they haven't updated the hub then too with something mores suitable? From what I've been reading it isn't even wifi6/e - which would definitely help.

I was definitely expecting speed drop off depending where I am in the house, but its quite drastic. it does all seem a bit misleading!

Message 8 of 10

@Tomo123  Typical B/S from a lazy engineer, saves him spending time actually finding/fixing the problem.

The hub if fully capable of 900Mb.

Message 9 of 10

I just had my Fibre 900 installed on 26th.

I am very very disappointed. When engineer put everything in, he pulled out a device and put it next to the router and registered 460 mbps and said that is the expected number for wifi and hardwire 700-900 (900 not really being achievable) and I said its fine I dont expect max speed and that 460 for wireless is acceptable.

Once he left I used speedtest on my PC and my Phone and max i registers is 260-270mbps. I tried this with my PC close to router and in my room next to the wifi disc extender, and still 260-270mbps.

I then waited for an hour before restarting router and wifi disc. Still the same. I have just bought a Cat8 Ethernet cable to test the hardwire line. If it registers at 650+ mbps then I will admit defeat that since hardwire is working, i'll just have to suck it up that wifi is going to sit at no more than 300mbps. 

Still disappointing for extra cost + 2 year tied down contract.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Wifi speed depends on both the router and the device being capable of the same speeds. With a new iPad I can get 660Mbps 3 metres away from my Smarthub 2 in the same room. My PC upstairs has a slower wifi adaptor and despite claiming to have a link speed of over 300Mbps can only get 220Mbps max, my iPad in the same location can still manage over 400Mbps.

It is also worth checking that your device is using the right freqency - 5GHz will be faster than 2.4GHz  assuning no adverse conditions like solids walls blocking signal.

0 Ratings