cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Fibre Broadband Speeds Query

Go to solution

Hello everybody,

I'm moving house on the 5th August. I've done a house move request on BT and I'm expecting to receive an unwelcome drop in speed from my current package. I'm on the 76mbps package currently and my new one is to be 35mbps with a guarantee of 29mpbs so a fair drop in speed.

Can anybody help me with understanding please? I've done a DSL Search through BT and I'm in a FTTC area so 330mbps to cabinet. I've scoured Google Maps for the Cabinet and found it's 500m away. Searches online show that I'd be expecting a drop to 60mbps for this distance but it's half of that.

FTTP is stated to be available in the report but in the text at the bottom, it says it's not. I'm just a little confused and wondering if there's anything I can do to get this bumped up. Below is the DSL Checker and a map showing a 'As the Crow Flies' distance from the suspect cabinet.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to read and help.

Owen

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fibre Broadband Speeds Query

Go to solution

Cabling doesn't run in straight lines but the distance would seem to be in keeping with the 50Mb shown as available. So don't know why you are only offered 35Mb unless you've selected an Essential package which is capped at 36Mb.

You only have FTTP on demand available, which is where you pay Openreach the full (enormous) cost of providing a full fibre connection to your house only.

Edit

For what it's worth, I'm around the same distance from my cab as you & get 50Mb. But if I search deals on BT as a new customer I'm also only offered 35Mb.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @rbz5416, Thanks for your response.

This is interesting about you having roughly the same distance and only being offered 50mbps. I also checked the route following the roads and it's around 600-650m so not much difference.

I will have to have a word and see if there's anything special they can do. I am existing and been with BT across multiple properties over the past 5 years.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Oweeennnn 

you can only get as fast as you line can handle taking into account distance from cabinet and quality of line.  you won't know the actual speed until you move and get connected.  you could be at top of range of 52 or equally at bottom of 35 and probably somewhere inbetween

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly ,

Yeah I'm aware that the speed drops the further down the line you are but it just doesn't make much sense that they estimate between 29mbps and 35mbps for my postcode. 

Surely if they'd see me being anywhere between 35 and 50mbps they'd offer the plan for it? I don't even get the option.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I think you just have to get the FTTC installed and then see what speeds you can actually get.  If up near 50mb then you can change your package if necessary

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Oweeennnn the house could be currently served by Sky etc in which case BT will only be able to an estimate. This was our situation, estimated at 35mbps but actually got 57mbps-ish once we were up and running. About a week after, we were able to order GFast and we're now on 170mbps-ish... 

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

The estimate is just that, an estimate and will always be conservative so that customers aren't over promised and then disappointed.

There is nothing you can do to improve the speed, it will be whatever it will be and dependant on distance and quality of the cable.

The 330M has nothing to do with speed to the cabinet,it is the speed offered by FTTPoD which has already been stated, is extremely expensive.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

If the line is capable of ( for example ) 52Mb  , the top end of the predicted range , but the estimate provided is the low end of the predicted rage ( 35Mb ) your connection isn’t restricted to the low end , your line will provide you with the best stable speed it can ( there is no benefit or mechanism to restrict your service anyway )….but , given that penalty’s can be applied if the speed doesn’t match up to the minimum, then it’s obvious that any guarantees will be based on the lower predicted speed and not the higher speed in the range, 

If you currently have an 80Mb connection and get close to it , but the new address is further away from the cabinet than the current address is from its cabinet , then it’s possible that paying for the 55Mb  profile may be sensible, but often there isn’t much difference in price or the ISP provides it at the same cost as the lower speed profile , if the address currently has FTTC service you could ask the occupants what speed they get from their provider , but obviously if that is with a profile of 40 Mb , a common profile ISP use , it may not indicate the lines potential speed , just the limit of the profile that the current occupant pays for

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @iniltous 

Thanks for your response. This gives me confidence for sure. I have also asked our Estate Agent to ask what the current owner of the property gets and they have said that 52mbps is the speed. I'm unsure if this is what they know from other properties or whether the owner did a speed test upon asking.

I'll only know for sure once I move in I guess! I'll try to remember to report back once I know! 

0 Ratings