cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Fibre Cancellation Question

My 2 year fibre contract ends on the 27 Oct 23 and I'll be moving to another ISP.  I've just spoken to BT and thought I'd give my notice to cancel now but was told I'd have to pay a cancellation charge of £11 plus the remaining monthly bill.  He said even if I rang on the 14 Oct 23 and cancelled it would still be £9.  I thought you had to give at least 30 days notice to cancel so I'm confused as to why I'd have to pay when I just want the service stopped on my contract end date.

I'm moving to another ISP who will install their own ONT but I don't mind the services running in tandem for a week or so in case of problems with the new install.

Can anyone clarify what I need to do to cancel without charges on my contract end date.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fibre Cancellation Question

There is no reason why the last month of a minimum term cannot also be the notice period, but you haven’t reached that point yet , around  the 27th September is when to call to serve your notice to quit , ( assuming its a 30 day notice ) however , you could get charged for a month or part month after this date and then refunded for any days paid for after service has ceased , depending on when the billing run produces an invoice which may not align with the date your service started, TBH , IMHO ,  there is no point obsessing over the exact date ,ceasing  a few days early , the ETC will be small , a few days later than the exact anniversary of the service starting , will be a few days at the out of contract rate and likely to be a very small amount.

Message 3 of 5

Are you moving to an AltNet that doesn't use Openreach or moving to full fibre from FTTC? Just a bit confused as why a new ONT would be required otherwise.

If neither of these apply then you don't cancel, you just place an order with the new supplier. Cancelling will actually prevent a new service going live for around a fortnight.

One other thing, if you do need to cancel I'd seriously consider doing it after the new service is live. Yes you'll pay double for a month but will also have insurance against a failed installation of the new service.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Yes, moving to an altnet ISP and like I said, happy to run them both in tandem in case of any problems.

BT CS could not give me an answer as to the 30 days notice but I'm sure I've read it somewhere which is why I called as I don't want to be caught out and pay more than I have to.  I'll try again on the 27th and see what they say then.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Don't bother about what they say on the 27th, just put your notice in.  Any extra you pay while the billing cycle is aligned will be refunded. Any problem come back here then.

0 Ratings