cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre in the street but not to the houses

Spoiler
Fibre was laid along the street last year. I spoke to the Openreach guys doing it.

We are in a cul de sac with a sports club at the end. Seems like the club got fibre broadband as their WiFi is super fast. 

All the online checkers say its not available to my postcode and so I can't order it

I assume the sports club use BT Business not retail.

Who can I talk to so that normal households can get fibre connection 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre in the street but not to the houses

If BT customer enter phone number otherwise address not post code and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If it does not show FTTP then nothing you can do as sports club sound like a dedicated business line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

It’s likely that the sports club have a fibre ‘leased line’ , leased lines are not  FTTP , primarily aimed a business, ( although there is nothing stopping anyone ordering one for their home ) the cost  is significantly more expensive than FTTP ( in the order of hundreds £/ month ) and doesn’t change how likely or unlikely an area is to get FTTP , so even if the ‘fibre’ for a leased line runs passed your address , it makes no difference to your ability to order FTTP 

Message 4 of 7

i doubt the sports club have the money to pay for a leased line service. That indeed is in the thousands a month. 

And I did speak to the openreach engineer laying the fibre. And he was saying to contact bt in a few weeks and you can get connected. So I think he assumed it was for residential use.

Ie the ducting is there. The Green cab has the equipment to terminate more than one premise.

• This was more than a year ago. So their systems should be ready to take orders from the rest of the street.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Can you run the dslchecker and post results including the notes which will show availability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You sure the engineer laying the fibre was Openreach? They usually use contractors. The Openreach green cabinets do not supply FTTP either so does not contain any equipment to terminate any FTTP connections..

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi there,

I have the same issue, openreach did the road last year (6-12 months ago I think) but I don't seem to be able to get full fibre from anyone apart from Virgin who I have been with for years and have their own line there of course.

I'm wondering does it take enough people on the street to register interest before openreach 'activate' the road or something? No idea how this works, but bit annoyed I am still tied to Virgin despite full fibre 'being there'...

Thanks, Ratty2

0 Ratings