cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Fibre install, will I need digging?

Go to solution

Hello, I am just wondering what to expect when I get BT fibre in terms of install.

I live in a house that was made between the 60'-70's and I am unsure whether or not we have ducting, a few years ago Openreach put fibre in my street and now a few centimes off my property on the public walkway there is a very small Openreach cover.

When I check on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ it says this about my install.

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG pre built to the curtilage.

does anyone know what this means? I just want to know if I need digging or if they can have the cable come out from that small cover and just put it down my driveway to my house

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Fibre install, will I need digging?

Go to solution

Sounds like they’ve put a Toby Box in.

Also given age of your house and that the Checker says it’s prebuilt to Curtilage then yes. They will need to dig across your land to get an FTTP Cable in.

Openreach will arrange for a Dig once you place an order.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

I have already p laced an order and not had anything told to me about a dig, will it be a deep dig or can they just go a few CM under my driveaway to lay the cable?

Also is it not possible to put the cable above the ground and just run it down my driveaway and protect it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Openreach will send out a L2C, that Lead to Cash Step 1 Team, usually unappointed to agree a dig location with you and to get a PTD Form, that’s Permission to Dig Form signed.

The preferred depth is 150mm. I think a few cm will be to shallow, especially under a driveway as it may cause damage to the Duct and Cable.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

I see on my order that my engineer visit is still being finalized but I have an engineer visit outside of my property on Tues 26th Sept.

I assume that might be the date I could talk to them about how they will get fibre to my house? I am just worried because my front lawn is an awkward shape and has a step drop between the grass/pavement to my house.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Wouldn’t worry about it.

Openreach use their own DL Civils for L2C and they’re on a Salary, not Paid per Dig so they’ll take their time to do a good job because it doesn’t matter if they do 1 job that day or 100, they still get paid the same.

I know loads of Openreach Civils lads, I’d happily let any of them dig up my garden.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Ok well that is good, I am currently On virgin and our contract runs out in early Feb so I hope they can figure out where that cable is not to cut it as well. I will be using both my Virgin and BT connection till my VM contract runs out.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Yeah, VM Cable won’t be difficult to find. It’ll be buried under 2mm of top soil, if that. 

Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Thank you for your help, now I just need to patiently wait till I get it installed and I can be free from virgins awful latency and DNS issues on gaming

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

I forgot to mention it before but it also says for my install that I am  "KCI2 Assure".

Any idea what that means if if it changes anything you mentioned previously? 

0 Ratings