cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Fibre running past my house how do I connect

Hi all, wondering if somebody well connected could direct me, around a year ago I was working from home on my slow but reliable 15mb connection in rural Northamptonshire and noticed a tree in the front of my house moving quite violently after a quick wonder outside I found 4 or 5 orange clad BT guys removing said tree to uncover what they described as a major connection terminal for a fibre ring, they explained that they needed access to connect a nearby village.

It is literally 4 feet from my office wall 😂 and yet I can't connect.

They suggested I should have access to this fibre ring.

I've checked the standard postcode checkers a number of time's but there seems nothing beyond my current 15-20mb connect.

It's a little frustrating that they closed the road a number of times and dug up one of my trees and yet I can't find a way to get onto the fibre band wagon. 

Does anyone know who I could contact to find exactly what is under my front fence and potentially how this might benefit me? 

I did a little reading on this forum and used the wholesale checker app attached the screenshot

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fibre running past my house how do I connect

Firstly you need to wait for the Openreach availability checker to say that it's enabled and available to order and then check that your preferred ISP has made it available to order. 

Putting the fibres in place is only part of the installation process. They then need to put all the kit in the cabs etc. It was about six months from Openreach pulling cables through before we could order FTTP and then another couple of weeks from ordering to full installation and it involved two different engineers visiting to do various bits...

Works like a charm though 👌

Message 3 of 8

How do I find out when and how long it might take, the guys seemed to suggest they we're patching cables rather than installing from new.

Although the tree had been in for maybe 10 years, would they're have been fibre cables in front that long ago? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

only openreach know when FTTP is like to be available  try

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

The term ‘fibre ring’ is more usually associated with Openreach’s leased line fibre network rather than FTTP , and although there is some crossover, generally these fibres are not used for FTTP , so if those techs were working on a leased line , then the fact that these fibres are close to your address has no bearing on the availability of FTTP , you could enquire with an appropriate leased line seller about getting a leased line , but they are way more expensive than FTTP , because they cater for a different type of user , normally business ones .
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

This makes some sense, as looking at the open reach information I have something called FTTP on demand available which I understand to be the business variant and much more expensive to connect to, although the engineers we're fairly explicit that they were doing something to connect a new estate (around 1000 houses being built, around a 2 miles away) . I'll keep digging around for a solution.... ironically Gigaclear put cables in on the other side of the road in 2020 so I'm trying to find out of I can connect to these the irony of knowing how much infrastructure is running past my house and yet i can't connect to is wearing thin. 😂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

FTTPod is something different, that’s where the FTTP network is build from the appropriate aggregation node to your address ( at your expense ) but at the end of the process you have a regular FTTP service , Ethernet leased lines are point to point ( no splitters ) , and although expensive ( more like £240 a month than £60 a month ) are symmetric ( same speed upload and download ) have much better SLA’s ( service level agreements ) like 5hr repairs
As said , the leased line network can provide fibres for the FTTP network, but if 1000 houses were being built, eventually that’s 34 splitters ( 30 users per splitter , 30x34 =1024 ) three fibres per splitter so that’s 102 fibres ( 34x3 ) , it’s unlikely that number of fibres can be taken from the existing leased line network, but the same ducts/boxes etc can be used , chances are it’s a new FTTP spine cable that was being worked on .
If they were preparing network for a site miles away , its still of no use to you , and doesn’t help ( or hinder ) your chances of FTTP

Message 8 of 8

@iniltous this sounds like the most plausible answer anyone (including BT ) have been able to give.

The old rusty lid looks like connect to a duct over a nearby bridge and the engineer did suggest it was new cables being installed.

Can't imagine loads of fibre is sitting in there for the last at least 12 year's it's been covered.

I'm waiting on some feedback from both BT and Gigaclear who have a cable on the opposite side of the road on what id any solutions I have for quicker speeds my 15mb is starting to get pushed when kids are streaming and I'm working on cloud documents.

Thanks again, I'll wait for some more information.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

0 Ratings