cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Fluctuating download speeds

Hi

I am currently signed up to BT on: Fibre Halo 3+

I am not connected to fibre yet (Been told it is in my area but not anywhere near my street yet) 

My problem is that over the last few weeks my download speed has been extremely erratic. I can go from 48Mbps down to 2Mbps.

I contacted BT and they told me they would send out an engineer. Guy showed up looked at my landline connection and said everything was fine - he was only there to check I was connected via a filter, which I was.

He left, received a mail from BT the next day saying my problem was solved.

I contacted them again to say that it wasn't and a (Very poor) operator told me she would change my channel and that should help but leave it 72 hours to be sure. Did as I was told and nothing has changed.

I want to continue my journey tracking my fault but whenever I run a speed check via the BT app or on-line it tends to show speeds of 48Mbps, however on my TV using Analiti Wi-Fi analyser it continues to show speeds as low as 2Mbps and I can't stream to it.

Would you know if there is a problem getting the broadband to my house or is it simply a matter of throwing out the BT home hub 2 and getting my own router? 

Any idea how I can check when fibre will be in my street?

If I should get a new router then any suggestions on what to go for?

Sorry for the rant and thanks for any help

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fluctuating download speeds

No ISP can guarantee WiFi download speeds, there are too many variables and sources of interference.

Please post a screenshot of your hub stats to see if your broadband speed is ok.

Advanced settings> technical log> information

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi Licquorice,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

Hopefully this posts ok and you know what it means 🙂 🙂

This is a list of your Hub settings and current statistics.
Product code:Hub
Serial number:+091298+2052034358
Firmware version:v0.33.00.12274-BT
Firmware updated:Fri Apr 15 18:41:07 2022
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime:7 days,22 Hours54 Mins40 Secs
Data rate:11.999 Mbps / 53.021 Mbps
Maximum data rate:16.146 Mbps / 51.822 Mbps
Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off
Noise margin:9.2 / 6.1
Line attenuation:9.3 / 14.5
Signal attenuation:9.3 / 18.1
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:106.0 GB Uploaded / 154.9 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Public Wi-fi status:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-SPAS9K
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Channel: 6
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-SPAS9K
5 GHz wireless channel:Channel: 44
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
MAC address:30:B1:B5:23:ED:55
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

You have had a stable connection for 7 days with a connection speed of 53mb even though max attainable is only 51mb so on face of it your connection is fine. As alreadY posted there is no guarantee on download speed over WiFi.

Can you enter your phone number and post results. 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) Silverhoop_0-1651951930007.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Silverhoop_1-1651951930060.gif
8067201960AvailableAvailable--
8063.2201955AvailableAvailable--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 10--8 to 12Available--
Up to 10Up to 18 to 12Available--
Up to 8--7 to 8Available--
2----Available--
2----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 10--8 to 12----
Up to 8--8 to 12----
Up to 2--7 to 8----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2022-05-07
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
28-04-2022
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2013. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) Silverhoop_2-1651951930218.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) Silverhoop_3-1651951930220.gif
8067201960AvailableAvailable--
8063.2201955AvailableAvailable--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 10--8 to 12Available--
Up to 10Up to 18 to 12Available--
Up to 8--7 to 8Available--
2----Available--
2----Available--
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC SOADSL 2+SOADSL MaxSOADSL Fixed Rate
Up to 10--8 to 12----
Up to 8--8 to 12----
Up to 2--7 to 8----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2022-05-07
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
28-04-2022
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2013. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Sorry - Don't think that posted very well. Is there a better way to send you the results?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

We can see the info OK (although a screenshot would normally be better) so don't worry. The missing info is exchange and cab number. We need to be able to fing out which type of cab you are connected to and can only do that with the above.

G.INP is only available on Huawei Cabs but the connection stats seem to indicate you are on an ECI cab.

If ECI, your stats look OK if not...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Are you connected to the master socket and if so which one 

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Silverhoop_0-1652008708037.png

Hopefully that's a bit better, and hopefully you can enlarge it 🙂

As for the master socket of the types shown I have number 7 installed

And once again, thanks for replying and thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your connection speed.  the front of master just unclips and should be secure.  the test socket is visible when front removed.

You are on Huawei cab so with a stable connection you should get a boost when G.INP kicks in which can take 7/10 days stable

0 Ratings