cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Full Fibre 1 Stage Install

Go to solution

Its odd that they installed the Toby box at the property curtilage opposite the driveway rather than the lawn as obviously it’s cheaper and easier to excavate in soft surface, perhaps there were other services in the ground that stopped them doing that, but if you ordered , someone will turn up to trench from the Toby box to your house wall , they are unlikely to simply start work without seeking permission, so you could advise them where you would prefer the trench  , and TBH , if they had a choice of all tarmac or 2ft in tarmac and the rest in soft , they would go for the easiest ( for them ) dig.

Message 12 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks @iniltous. That's good to know.  

Do you know if they are normally willing to track fibre cable on the outside of the house or will they likely just enter where the dig ends? 

The start of my lawn would bring me up to my living room, but I would prefer to bring the cable through front door where my existing hub is and have the ONT there as well.  They could track it through the living room, but there would actually be more tracking and drilling that way.  

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Go to solution

I would imagine that its one set of  engineers that dig the trench and leave a coil of external grade optical cable at the external wall , ready for the installer , who would terminate that cable in the CSP and then run another internal grade optical cable to the location of the ONT , it does seem  ( especially if you get an Openreach employee rather than a contractor ) that within limits they try to locate the ONT where you want it ( one stipulation is that it needs to be near a power socket , as the ONT  is powered ) and in many cases if the router is needed to be sited close by , ( connected by an Ethernet cable ) its likely a double power outlet is required….if you get a contractor, as they are paid per job , they may do what’s quickest, rather than spending too much time with what they could consider discretionary work.

Unfortunately, as far as can the external cable be ran some distance along the external wall  before entering the CSP , I don’t know it that’s allowed or not.

Message 14 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for all the info @iniltous .  Very helpful.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Go to solution

I am an ex BT engineer and have just been offered an upgrade to full fibre with no additional costs to my monthly bill.

As the "Toby" box is in the pavement outside my house I'm really very surprised that full fibre would be installed to my house (including the dig and burying of ducting) at no cost to me and indeed to all the other customers that will need to be connected in this way. That could cost hundreds of thousands! Virgin otherwise does a bodge job of running a link from the pavement in a green flexi tube, not very good practice in engineering terms and appearance. I'm very curious to know. My neighbor has just been connected, but pole fed which is a completely different can of beans.

0 Ratings