cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Full Fibre 900 - poor speed..

Just changed from 500 to 900....No I don't need it but...

Speed is terrible,  both wired and WiFi....download hasn't changed.

It wasn't great on the 500 either.

Any ideas?...I will downgrade within 14 days and move on to the other lot (when i can), not openreach, if not resolved as mate gets 900 up and down with them at much lower price.

nb, is the position of the ONT , router an issue, its right next to a glass fronted back door and next to a big window....I wasnt in on the install, looks like he installed there as it was easy....

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Full Fibre 900 - poor speed..

im getting speeds around the 300 mark on 900 package.  (wired) in a bedroom

Which is much the same as on the 500 package. At least at non peak times... Its worse at peak times.

wifi, next to the router on a fire cube.....really patchy, 100 to 230 max

on a brighter note 107 upload...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

if you use btspeedtester  BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com)  or fast.com and connected device direct to hub with ethernet cable what speeds do you get?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

i only upgraded yesterday online.

i had no option but to choose that once a year visit...

He is coming tomorrow, ill get him to do all the tests and advise what the issue issue.

in all my time with 500, the highest i have ever got wired is 430, and that was very early morning.

havent seen that speed for a very long time.....Is it odd that i am getting the advertised upload speed on 900

but have seen no uptick whatsoever in download speed from the high 200s i normally got on 500?

BT Broadband is very reliable and i dont mind paying 44.99 for 900 even though that is much higher than competitors in Aberdeen, but its crazy to pay 44.99 if im only getting download at high 200s on a 900 package.

Will see what the BT bod says when he arrives tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

@marco806 

I presume that your order has completed as you only did it yesterday.

I'm on FF500 and I get 500/75 wired and 380/71 on 5GHz on an iPhone 11. Not using a SmartHub 2 though.

Very few other users as Full Fibre only very recently installed  in my area.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

What third party router do you use?

Yes, order has completed,  I'm showing  as being on 900 package.

I've upgraded twice before to 900, but went back to 500 because of the terrible speeds , even when wired.  Don't know why I thought it may be different this time..I may just leave when contract ends as I've lots of choice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

just hooked up my chromebook to Ethernet to the hub

Download        818.01

Upload              117.56

Actually getting upwards of more than 900, 940 on fast.com

Then hooked up my chromebook to a BT Disc in bedroom

Download   324.37

Upload         86.13

Why is wifi speed so poor in comparison....just did a test on fire cube - Download 95  Upload 69

Ethernet connection in bedroom via BT Disc on my Shield and Formuler Z11 Pro Max are high 200s

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Because it's only Ethernet between the disc and your device, it's WiFi between the hub and the disc.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

its quite a drop off though...900 to 320 from using hub to a disc. (on my chromebook).

And , its even worse on my shield and formuler z11 pro max.....the ethernet connection via disc is currently 252.

So, i need to buy a proper router with better coverage?

i keep on reading the BT router is not fit for purpose for full fibre 500 and above?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

400Mb is still incredibly fast , probably way faster than anything you use  needs , so what is the real world problem that ‘only’ getting 400Mb highlights ? , it seems to me that in the majority of cases the only problem is seeing the needle on the speed tester app ‘only’ getting around to 400Mb , there is no practical problem at all .

Obviously you could purchase a router that has better WiFi performance and the speed test app on whatever device it’s installed on may ‘show’ speeds getting closer to the provided speed , but everything else will perform pretty much the same …it does seem odd this imperative to be able to have demonstrated  the speed available, when everything works , nothing slows down , the real world evidence disregarded if the speed test app doesn’t show the purchased speed is available over WiFi , even if it’s only a speed tester app that will ever consume that bandwidth.