cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Full Fibre Future Plans

I know that the new 1.2gb and 1.8gb tiers are to be open to the public later this year, and have been discussed many times before here, along with the new EE Smart Hub Plus for it.

Take for example CityFibre releasing 2.5gb and Vodafone testing 2gb and Virgin potentially releasing a 2gb tier, I have read that Openreach is primarily rolling out GPON full fibre, which currently offers customers download speeds of up to 900Mb, with BT having only trialled services up to 1.8Gb, with a 120Mb upload speed.

Obviously, the 1.8gb tier is intended to compete with the proposed Virgin 2gb, unofficially of course.

However, with others installing 10Gbps capable XGS-PON kit as standard now, along with Virgin planning to upgrade their entire network to XGS-PON full fibre at a cost of £100 per property.

Will Openreach/BT look at going down the route of XGS-PON full fibre for the future implementation of 5gb or 10gb tiers. Even if it means the higher tiered lines having an additional cost to the household like a connection fee?

So, my question here is with the proposed Smart Hub 4 with WiFi 7 potentially being released sometime in 2024, will we get an improvement in line speeds too through Openreach/BT and to a proposed 2.5gb tier or potentially higher instead by then?

I would like to say that come 2024 we would have at least 2.5gb tier as a minimum from the main group like BT and Virgin.

I would also hope to expect that any new Smart Hub 4, either business hub from BT or consumer hub from EE, would actually be sent out with at least 2.5gb ethernet ports too. However, that is an entirely new conversion thread 🤣

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Full Fibre Future Plans

I have absolutely no idea what anybody would do with 2.5Gb on a residential service!!!

Message 3 of 12

I have absolutely no idea what anybody would do with 2.5Gb on a residential service!!!

So, we can all take from that reply, that you have the same thought and opinion as to why anybody would want to update their pc with a new mobo in the past few years that came with a 2.5gb port.

Can we get replies from those who don't think that wanting more than 1gb is not the right sort of residential client for BT.

Do you happen to live at home with everything from when you first brought them from maybe 1950 onwards and you can tell us that you never once wanted to update them?!

Did you have the same idea and thinking when people wanted to upgrade from dial up connections too?

Let me guess you thought who in their right mind would want a constant broadband connection?

Other countries have residential lines of 2.5gb, 5gb and 10gb and some even 25gb since 2022 for some crazy idea.

And yet in the UK we still have to put up with just 1gb.

It clearly shows why we lag so far behind other so-called smaller countries that put us to shame.

I know lots of people who would happily pay for full fibre through BT if it would have at least 2.5gb tier and not have to resort to third parties instead, and no they would not be classed as Business Users, they would just be normal Joe public too.

The fact that the likes of yourselves and others think that having more than 1gb is a unnecessary requirement, is putting out the wrong signal to those who want BT to be able to provide higher tiers.

Anyways, just because you have absolutely no idea what anybody would do with 2.5Gb on a residential service, it does not mean that others don't.

Your philosophy of tarnishing and mocking anybody who wants over 1gb as ridiculous is just stupid.

Consumers will pay for a service if it is provided, I can guarantee you that, but the way some members here think, they would still want consumers to live in the dark ages.

You might as well lock this thread as it will just be filled with members from here questioning why normal people would want more than 1gb and heaven forbid want anything near 2.5gb.

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
Message 4 of 12

Openreach are in the process of a planned roll out of XGS-PON.

Message 5 of 12

@infinitywaiter I bet all the marketing men are rubbing their hands with glee

What sort of bandwidth do you think all your thousands of gizmos in the house use? It will be miniscule.

You do realise of course that GPON and XGS-PON are heavily contended services in any case.

30 customers share 2.5Gbps on GPON and 10Gbps on XGS-PON

Message 6 of 12

@infinitywaiter 

Your post seems to give the impression that your answer to @licquorice 's point about why anybody would desire a 2.5GB residential connection is "because it's there"?

So, for those of us who happily "get by" on an 80MBit FTTC connection, please could you give some of the scenarios where a 2/2.5GB home connection might be desirable, (against the current 900Mb offering)? (Serious question).

Message 7 of 12

8K streaming or Console 50Gig updates

they could also update windows in the matter of seconds instead of hours.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@pyarwood55 

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use Windows, (Linux Mint is our OS of choice), and haven't done for about 15 years. Are Windows updates really that big and/or slow to download these days?

What are "Console 50Gig updates"? Are these firmware updates or new games/game updates? Are they something that need to be done regularly?

I am genuinely interested - I come from an era where my first PC had a 28.8k dial-up modem and a 2GB hard drive! We don't do online gaming and rarely stream at 4K UHD on iPlayer, so I don't think that we have ever maxed out our 80MBit connection.

I'm certainly not suggesting that others shouldn't desire such fast connections, but have difficulty in visualising why. 🤔

Message 9 of 12

@pyarwood55 How often do you stream 25 seperate 8K channels simultaneously?

Message 10 of 12

@infinitywaiter  unfortunately on this siten you will just get critisied for wanting anything more then 1Gbps.  Knowing BT they will provide faster services but only supply kit with 1Gbps LAN ports like teh new s,arthub which you need if you happen to use digital voice. 

In my opinion if you dont understand teh need for faster then 900Mbps internet then thats cool, do not upgrade. However in my house there are 4 of us, 8K is not a million miles away and already available on some platforms. That requires on average 125Mbps for 1 stream, now if all 4 house members are streaming thats 500Mbps gone to start with. at least 2 of us in teh house work while streaming content both using very large CAD files. Then you have all 4 of us downloading games that xcan easily be over 100Gb in size with updates to those games regularly coming in at 50Gb. Then you have all the smart home devices and mobiles doing updates in the background also and teh bandwidth soon gets chewed up.

Its a little like 30 years ago when i went to Dixons and got myself a new PC with a 500Mb hard drive. "No Way I'll ever fill that up" i told my friend now i have my hoem server sitting down stairs with over 60Tb of CAD files, databases i have used for different projects as well as videos i have recorded and edited plus photos.

For reference though my mate had fibre 900Mb installed by openreach last week and was provided with a 2.5Gb ONT (cornwall) and was advised that he would see download speeds of 1000 to 1600Mbps even though he was given a smarthub 2 lol.