cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Full Fibre Installation

We're currently on Fibre 2, or something, but I've just ordered Full Fibre.  I assume that means on the given date, someone turns up and runs some fibre from the road into my property.  Can anyone tell me what this involves?  Do they run the fibre in the same conduit that carries the current analogue line?  I ask because our neighbours have just had something installed and they've ended up with an ugly brown box about 9in x 9in next to the telephone line input on the front of the house.  That may be Virgin media though.

So, I guess 2 questions:

(a) Will they dig up the front garden to lay fibre to the house

(b) Will we have an ugly box on the front of the house

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 3 of 19

Re: Full Fibre Installation

the brown box is standard virgin media connection

if you are currently fed underground and not from pole then fibe cable would normally be in same duct as existing connection assuming there is a duct and not blocked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 19

Didn't realise it requires a box to be installed indoors (the ONT).  That's a proper nuisance for us because we currently have furniture blocking the master socket where the line enters the house.  And we'd want to put that piece of furniture back where it is.  Not sure of the dimensions of that box but I hope it doesn't stick out further than a master socket.  And I hope it's not something that I'd need frequent easy access to.  Maybe Mr Openreach can install it somewhere different to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

The ONT looks like this but there is also another box CSP.  You also need to have a power socket as the ONT needs.  powered.  You may be lucky and openreach will install CSP  like the one below the ONT shown below

ONT  + internal CSPONT + internal CSP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 19

@ploppy Of course they can, the location of your master socket is totally irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

The reason I mention the master socket is that that's where the current line enters the house - exactly opposite (I mean on the other side of the external wall) where the existing line rises on the outside (currently covered by a grey plastic shroud).  I'd assumed that, rather than drill a new hole, they'd feed the fibre through the existing hole.  Will they remove the existing master socket?

What exactly is the CSP?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

The CSP is where the external fibre cable is joined to the internal cable

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

The top part of the grey plastic shroud ( as you call it )  is a cover 101a , and can be removed and replaced by the CSP , which is designed to integrate with the existing grey plastic capping  , the CSP is larger than the cover 101a , 

https://dexgreen.com/products/fiber-optic-demarcation-box

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

If it's anything like Plusnet - and I imagine it will be - there's a better explanation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2W8S_l8b0c

Looks like the CSP will be outside and there'll only be one box inside.  That would be better, because "inside" is actually our living room and I don't want too many extra boxes on the wall.

I may need to install another double socket but that could be done after the event.

0 Ratings