cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Full Fibre next week - what to expect?

Go to solution

PXL_20220520_114047440_copy_567x1008_1.jpg

Afternoon all. We're currently on Halo 3+ via FTTC, with a SH2, the backup mobile router, and a disc at the rear of the house. Next week OR will attend to install Full Fibre 100. 

Will the existing internal kit still work with full fibre? They haven't specifically said they'll send anything new. The existing main router says it's a 2 on the back, but doesn't have the little coloured icon next to the BT logo, and we've had it a year or two - so it may be 1st gen v2, if you see what I mean. 

However, my main question is this. About 2yrs ago the internal house telephone wiring developed a fault resulting in the router constantly recycling. The engineer couldn't isolate it and as we don't use landline phones anyway, in the end bypassed it altogether and ran the cable behind the gas box and across the front of the house and drilled straight into the back of the existing master socket. He left me enough slack so I was able to bury it along the front wall where we never dig. Everything rock solid since.

Will OR be able to run the new fibre cable the same way and in through the same hole to the new internal box? I know there'll be a new external box too - we're on UG ducting from the street chamber a few metres away. Does fibre need protection? Can it bend down out of the new external box, and bend up to go through the existing hole - or must it run as straight as possible?

I'm hoping they can replicate what we already have as that would keep everything together inside where we really need it.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just not not sure what's feasible and how amenable OR will be.

TIA. BR, Mike

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Full Fibre next week - what to expect?

Go to solution

PXL_20220520_114033851_copy_1008x567.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

PXL_20220520_114037995_copy_1008x567.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

PXL_20220520_114013044.MP_copy_567x1008.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

PXL_20220520_115421877.MP_copy_567x471.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

There is only one version of the Smart Hub2 and with the latest v0.33.00.12274-BT firmware, LAN port 4 can be configured as a WAN port for FTTP.

If you no longer require a landline or if you are converted to Digital Voice, your existing copper wiring will not be required.

The fibre cable doesn't have to enter the house at the same point as the current master socket and will terminate in the ONT (optical modem) which will require a power socket.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice. The main hub has that firmware so should be OK for full fibre - although since I posted I've got an email from BT saying that at least 2 packages are being despatched, so we'll see.

We are already on DV, so they'll remove the copper I guess?

Screenshot_20220520-141057_copy_267x412.png

I appreciate the new cable doesn't *have* to enter the house at the same point, but I'd prefer it to, hence my wondering about the external run and feasibility of burying it again. Where it comes in now means I'm straight onto the router where I have a bit of AV and smart home kit adjacent.

I understand they'll junk the existing master socket and be replaced by the new powered ONT.

If they insist on running it from the back of the new external box it'll come into the hall and need routing across the front wall of the living room. For reasons relating to domestic harmony I want to avoid that at all costs.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

They are usually pretty flexible with how the cable runs, tea and biscuits always helps 😃😃

Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Going out now for the chocolate digestives 👍🏻

🤞🏻

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

@Minkey1  I am interested how this goes as I live on a similar street to you (a 25 year old estate) I am assuming they will just use the ducts in the pavement.

Hopefully FTTP comes to me soon. Hopefully way before 2026 "sigh"

0 Ratings