cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Full Fibre speeds

Currently on the Full Fibre 900 package.  Even with a device plugged directly into the router I get nowhere near 900Mbits.  650Mbit is about the highest.  I understand NIC limitations etc.  Even when standing in very close proximity I get nowhere near 900Mbits over Wi-Fi either.  Even though the device lists its connected at over 1000Mbps tests on the 5Ghz range.

Are there any whilst plugged in directly that can fully test out the bandwidth or do I have a fault?  What are the expected speeds over Wifi on the BT Hub and plugged in directly?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Full Fibre speeds

Your post is sort of contradictory - you ask about a device 'plugged directly into the router' then talk about being connected at 'over 1000Mbps tests on the 5GHz range'.

Firstly, run a speed test from the More section of the My BT app. This will tell you the speed your hub is connected at. You should get a download result at over 900Mbps on your deal. Any single device plugged into the hub with a gigabit ethernet connection should get a bit less than this speed (assuming it is the only device downloading at the time). The app will also tell you your guaranteed connection speed so you can complain if you are not hitting it.

The app will also tell you the WiFi speed your device is connected at. This will be much lower than the hub connection speed, probably down near 400Mbps at best on a 5GHz connection. This is because the BT Smart Hub 2 is only a WiFi 5 device and cannot perform any faster than that on 5GHz only.

Basically the BT Smart Hub 2 is not up to supporting 900Mbps to a device via anything other than a gigabit ethernet cabled connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Full Fibre speeds

Not meaningfully contradicting but was just mentioning that wired or wireless has no gains.  Both as bad as each other.

0 Ratings