cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Full fibre installation - security issues

Hi, was hoping to start having full fibre installed today. But I had to turn the engineer away - just too many problems. With hindsight I should have made myself more aware of the procedure but to be honest the info was not readily available.

I live in an end of terrace cottage in Wales that is right on the street. So any cable coming down to street level is vulnerable from the pavement. And TBH the box that terminates the cable is flimsy to say the least.

I have an outbuilding at the rear and I'm proposing to protect it and the main house with a camera system. Obviously if the cable gets snipped I lose my security system - totally. I'm not saying it's that kind of neighbourhood but snipping the fibre cable would be a no brainer to a burglar with half a brain. I understand it's fairly robust - kevlar and all that. Still no problem for aviation shears.

I don't seem to have a lot of options. One thought is that I will protect the cable with some heavy duty trunking and fit a heavy duty cover over the terminal box. I've now searched several hours for a products that would do the job - not really happy with what I've found. I may have to fabricate my own system. Anybody any experience of this or know where to get good gear?

Further, assuming I do protect the cable. Is there a mobile network option for the security system to dial out if the internet goes down?

Sorry about the length and half rant - I'm really desperate. Any help would be massively appreciated.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Full fibre installation - security issues

I'm sure there is a sheet metal fabrication company near you that would fabricated custom covers for you. Fitting them though may be up to you.

I wonder why you don't have a burgular alarm fitted if that worried  about security though. A dummy alarm box on the oitside wall will quite often deter burgulars.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

@JeanW  Have you considered a battery operated security or solar powered system? The only downside for the first is having to change the batteries every 18 to 24 months.

As mentioned by @pippincp, the dummy box option is realistic and worked for us for 11 years after a burglary but now we reside in an apartment.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I obviously don't know how your phone line is run to your property but if it is not in an underground duct does the same not apply if they were to cut your telephone line.

Where is your electrical meter, if its on an outside wall in a box, all they need to do is pull out the main fuse and your system regardless of whether its fibre or ADSL will go down because the router and your camera system will be disabled.

Camera's don't stop your property from being broken into, all they do is give you nice pictures of the people doing it and if the crooks are any good they will make sure that they are wearing hoodys when they are breaking in.

An alarm system with a battery back up system that activates when it is tampered with would be your best bet. There are systems that will also call you and sent a text using the onboard mobile sim card when activated. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

You don't need to totally lose your security system because someone cuts the fibre.

As old as the principal may be, my cameras support FTP and I run my own FTP server so even if I lose my broadband link I still have a local backup

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

• Alarm with communication to an alarm monitoring centre via dual methods such as over VoIP/Internet and also mobile network.
  • Cameras to NVR/NAS
  • Mobile Internet connection  as backup if required (potentially halo https://www.bt.com/exp/halo or use a router that supports backup mobile network)

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Thank you - we have a traditional burglar alarm. It probably helps but experience suggests that nobody takes any notice of alarms.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thank you - will consider a battery or solar back-up.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Thank you - good idea.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Thank you - that's very useful - will investiage further.
0 Ratings