cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

I have just checked the openreach website and it says it’s available in my area but when I try to order it / upgrade my bt broadband it says it’s unavailable how can I get this resolved I’ve even called in and they can’t put a order in.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: GFast

Go to solution

@Ryan_J wrote:

I have just checked the openreach website and it says it’s available in my area but when I try to order it / upgrade my bt broadband it says it’s unavailable how can I get this resolved I’ve even called in and they can’t put a order in.

Its no longer being sold, in favour of FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

It’s not even been built in my area 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Ryan_J wrote:

It’s not even been built in my area 

But it is in other areas, and that is where the resource is being concentrated. You will have to stick to Fibre 2, which is fast enough for most people.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/06/openreach-confirm-g-fast-broadband-rollout-paused-unti...

Since then, its been reported that rollout has stopped. This has been raised before on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

It’s frustrating because the street down from me can get g fast so I don’t see why I can’t and when I went onto EE website it’s says I can get fiber 100 which I know is powered by BT so I’m very confused on what is happening here, I would understand if fttp is round the corner or has been built but that’s not the case at all, yes they are planning to get it done in my area by November December time but that’s a good while away yet.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

EE is not "powered" by BT, it is a totally different company owned by the BT Group the same as Plusnet.

If FTTP is coming this year Openreach may have issued a stop sell on G.Fast for your area and the EE site may not yet reflect it.

You could always transfer to EE if you wish, they will also sell you FTTP when it becomes available.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

All the streets around me for quite some distance have FTTP (I can see the CBTs on the telegraph poles) except for a few houses, including mine, which are served by a CBT-less pole. I can get GFast and it is being connected tomorrow. I get the feeling that if GFast is available then, whether you choose to have it nor not, you are further down the list for FTTP connection than if you never had GFast available.  Unfortunately GFast is available at my house!

Whilst my exchange (LCSTA) is a Fibre Priority Exchange - so if fibre CAN be installed they won't sell copper products - I am definitely being sold GFast, so I think the stop-sell for copper products can be in force alongside continued support for copper in partially-fibred areas.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

In overhead served areas , there doesn’t have to be a CBT on every pole , it’s fairly common to use poles as ‘feeder’ or ‘carrier poles’  , I don’t think there is any exclusion from FTTP because of Gfast , which is aligned to a PCP area ( although to benefit the DP has to be relatively close to the PCP ) , CBTs are normally aligned to the copper distribution point ( DP ) so if a pole has a DP it’s like to get a CBT , but when an area is surveyed the fibre network doesn’t have to exactly follow the existing copper network , it can be tweaked, 

Each FTTP ‘PON’ has a limited area it was designed to serve , it may be that your address is on the wrong side of the PON boundary, and the fact that you can get Gfast is simply coincidental, there will be those within the PON boundary, assuming they are in the same PCP area as you , that could get Gfast and now can get FTTP  

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for that, iniltous. Very interesting indeed. I didn't know about feeder/carrier poles but I think where we are each pole will need a small CBT because they are a long way apart (we're not on a street with a row of poles). Our pole has had the blue nylon pull-through installed but it's been there for many months which I assume means that a fibre feed up the pole is on the horizon. I don't think our particular pole serves that many properties so that could be a factor in the delay perhaps. Using Google Maps and guessing the cable route I think we're about 250m from the PCP cabinet, so I think we are in the zone for at least a reasonable GFast service. The upgrade was extremely cheap (£1/month) so I'm giving it a go for a bit of fun, really; the future is obviously FTTP so I can't imagine that I'll be on GFast for long.
0 Ratings