cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Having BT installed at my home.

Hi everyone this is a long shot and i don't know what else to do....ive ordered BT internet 3 times and on each occasion the engineer has came out and left without installing my internet..the reason is i did not want the BT smart Hub2 in my kitchen for obvious reasons i wanted it in my dining room and all 3 engineers have declined to install it there because of some excuses.

The wiring comes in the back of my house ( weird i know ) and i don't want my hub in my kitchen etc etc....i am desperate to leave virgin media even to the point i have to pay £280 early cancellation fee which i was happy to pay to join BT. I need someone..ANYONE to come to my home and please help me join BT...i am desperate to join BT and they are making it SO hard for me i dont understand! i need an engineer or manager whoever to come to my home and come up with a solution to resolve this. Please someone email me back or DM me or whatever i am willing to join BT now i just need some help...thanks. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Having BT installed at my home.

What sort of BT Internet have you ordered ADSL/VDSL or Fibre?

What have you got against putting the SH2 in your kitchen - it may be obvious to you but not to everyone?

What is the rough layout of your house and is the dining room (or wherever you want the SH2) beside the kitchen? 

Where is the current BT master socket (assume you have a BT landline) are there any extension sockets elsewhere in the house?

What were the excuses used by the engineers? This may give a better insight into why they were unwilling to install where you wanted.

Message 3 of 14

Hi @Paul88 and welcome.

What type of master socket do you have? Is it BT branded? Can you give the answers to @countrypaul post and we'll do our best to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

I ordered FTTP 900mb fibre and was told it was only acceptable to install in my kitchen. The reason I didn’t want it in my kitchen was electricals and moisture in the kitchen does not go well together so hence why I wanted the SH2 installed in my dining room. We couldn’t come to an agreement on 3 separate occasions which I find remarkable.

I’d like someone to maybe come out to inspect my home and come up with a solution to have BT FTTP at my property. The master socket is in my dining room but that doesn’t need to be used for FTTP which is the only thing I am ordering off BT. 

Engineers just kept saying they can’t drill through more than 2 walls etc etc and can’t drill through plastic…I told them I’d do the drilling myself as I’m the home owner and still they all refused because of health and safety which I find unreal. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

If you have had 3 separate openreach fitters on separate occasions refusing to install in your diningroom  then there Is obviously a problem with the position you would prefer and can't see how another fitter will be any different. Maybe you have to select a different position if you want FTTP as outcome will be the same whichever ISP you select that use openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

It’s not that hard…I want the SH2 by a double socket which was recommended to me on a little table :/..the message I get from these sub contractors is they can’t be bothered because they have to drill a few extra holes. It’s probably the easiest job ever…bring the wiring into the back of the house along a leantoo which is all enclosed and then into my dining room close to the double socket…but like I said it feels they don’t wanna do it. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

@Paul88 wrote:

It’s not that hard…I want the SH2 by a double socket which was recommended to me on a little table :/..the message I get from these sub contractors is they can’t be bothered because they have to drill a few extra holes. It’s probably the easiest job ever…bring the wiring into the back of the house along a leantoo which is all enclosed and then into my dining room close to the double socket…but like I said it feels they don’t wanna do it. 

That is certainly not 'the easiest job ever'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

When you have FTTP there are two units to fit, and ONT and the SH2 which are linked with an ethernet cable . Could you accept the ONT being in the kitchen (BT/Openreach responsible for I believe) and put the SH2 in the dining room?  I suspect you would have to put the Ethernet cable (CAT6) in place from kitchen to dining room, but it could easily be setup initially in the kitchen and the SH2 moved as soon as you have the Ethernet cable in place. If putting the Ethernet cable in place requires drilling etc. then better to have a working system before you start the decoration disturbing.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Why is it weird that the cabling is at the back of the house?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@VikingSteve  It isn't. There are many properties with a pole at the rear.

0 Ratings