cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How can I work out the costs to have Fibre installed?

Hello all,

We recently viewed a house to purchase. It currently is not FTTP. I did some research and I realised that FTTP On Demand is an option.

It sounds like I essentially can pay a company to lay the fibre from the cabinet to the property rather than wait and hope OpenReach do it.

I believe OpenReach are working in the town but they cannot verify if a specific address is on their list. Can I verify this a different way?

Secondly, I could maybe calculate the costs of getting a 3rd party to do the work but I do not know where the cabinet is, and I have no idea how to find out.

Any help appreciated

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: How can I work out the costs to have Fibre installed?

You will need to find a company that will supply it and they will arrange a survey for a fee and supply a quote.

FTTP on Demand is primarily a business product so you can expect a quote for thousands of pounds. 

Message 3 of 10

I wonder if I can do this for an address I do not live in
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

If you have funds and can find a company/ISP to provide it you can get it fitted to any where you have permission from the property owner.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

What options do the websites below list for the address in question?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome
https://bidb.uk/

Remember to edit any personal info if pasting in.
Message 6 of 10

image.pngimage.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

image.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Positive news however as the area is PLANNED for FTTP as per BIDB. Perhaps if you contact OR directly they could provide a timeline.

https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form
Message 9 of 10

I have submitted a request. It's the only property in the postcode and a 100m away from the next closest building so who knows. Maybe it's too remote

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

There are a couple of misconceptions, FTTP doesn’t come from a FTTC ‘cabinet’ , and FTTPod is an Openreach product , BT are not a company that offer this particular OR product, you would have to pick an ISP that does offer it….

You cannot pick a company ( a subcontractor ) and arrange it yourself, FTTPod is a product that periodically is withdrawn from sale , modified and a ‘new’ version offered, but the fundamentals are that ,

You ask a participating ISP for FTTPod quote , they get you a ballpark quote ( a desktop survey ) occasionally this results in an ‘unable to quote’ or a very rough estimate circa  £38k , it seems some estimates are so obviously out of reach , ( miles from existing FTTP ) that  it’s not worth OR spending hours producing a ‘free’ desktop estimate , even desktop quotes cost OR to produce,

If the costs are within the range you consider ‘doable’ , you advise the ISP that you want to proceed to the contractual quote , you pay £250-£300 non refundable survey fee and the desktop estimate is the basis for a bespoke and contractual price contract…still want to proceed after the contract price is known ( obviously this could be more or less than the desktop quote ) the survey fee is deducted from the costs and you pay the remainder and the build is ‘started’ , typically it seems quotes for FTTPod that are progressed ( as discussed on various other forums) seem to be in the range £8k, and take around  12 months to complete.

0 Ratings