cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How does fibre cable connect to the ONT?

Go to solution

Hi all.

I have a Full Fibre 900 installation booked for a few days time. Before then, I'd like to run a draw wire behind the plasterboard in an upstairs room to pull the cable up from garage below to allow the ONT to be installed upstairs. Does the fibre cable connect in to a port on the ONT, in which case I need a brush faceplate for the cable to come through the wall, or does it wire directly into the back of the ONT, in which I just need the wire coming through a hole in the wall that the ONT will cover.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How does fibre cable connect to the ONT?

Go to solution

This is how it should be done.

openreach.png

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I shoul also have added there is no longer a BBU supplied and the ONT is smaller.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It really will depend on the installer, you don’t say if your current service is delivered overhead or underground, but the external cable ( dropwire from a pole or underground from a duct ) will need to be terminated on a CSP externally and at a low level, then a different ( internal ) cable ran to the location of the ONT….it’s possible that what you provided in the way of easing the installation process may be used, or may be impractical and not used…AFAIK , OR don’t use field fit connectors any more , so the ‘internal’ cable will already have a SC/APC connector on it ,( the end that plugs into the ONT, ) it’s the end of the internal cable at the CSP that is cut to length and spliced to the external cable at the CSP, tying the connector to a draw cord and pulling it through a wall space may not do it any good and could be rejected by the installer, but until they actually turn up , we ( and you ) can only speculate.

On new builds , the developer runs the internal cable between the ONT location and external wall, the cable coiled in an electrical back box , and OR fit the ONT inside a housing that is designed to fit using the back box screws , with retro fit installs , the ONT is simply attached to the wall ( not using an  ONT cover ) 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks all.

Iniltous, it's a relatively new build with the service delivered via a duct to the front porch. The existing white box is next to the front door on the outside brickwork. From there, I think the developer has short internal ducting as the actual phone socket is a metre away on the hall wall. If I can catch the engineer when he installs the new CSP, I will get him to put it on the perpendicular wall so it can go straight into the garage. From the garage I now have a hole in the garage ceiling that comes into the wall cavity of my office above. I have a hole drilled into the plasterboard in that room and a draw wire from that hole down to the garage. So I'm hoping that the engineer can mount the ONT on the office wall and feed the unterminated end of the cable back down to the garage and through the brick wall into the CSP. 

It sounds like a faff but Virgin did exactly the same for their installation so I have a Virgin fibre point already.

I'll update this thread with how it goes. Worst case I'll just abandon the BT option and upgrade Virgin to their 1 gig service, but I hope it doesn't come to that!!

BTW, is every ONT used now a Nokia?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The majority are Nokia but it depends on the OLT at the headend.

0 Ratings