cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

How to use digital voice via third party router

Go to solution

Hi there, currently on BT Fibre 2 using a configuration that looks something like this 

djenson2000_1-1684342777413.png

However, in the MY BT page, i've recently had the notification that BT digital voice will be swapped too soon

My question is, how is Digital voice going to work in this situation. Double NAT (i.e. pluing TP link router into the smart hub 2 they provide) is not an option as it breaks mobile banking apps and streaming content outside the home.

Is there like and ATA adapter option for digital voice that can just be plugged into an ethernet port? 

Many thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: How to use digital voice via third party router

Go to solution

As you are using a business hub 6 are you a BT business user. If so you need to post here

https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution
Nope, im not a business user. I got the BT Business hub to use as a modem for a BT residential line. This costs £30 vs spending £100 on a V167 modem.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

If you want Digital Voice, you need to have the SH2 as the first device connected to line, end of.

You either need to connect the TP Link LAN to WAN and double nat or connect LAN to LAN and use the TP Link as a wap

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
Sucks really that bt have decided to do it like that, they have the fibre solution where you can plug into the ONT and still use your own router while having a landline - but oh well. Thank you for confirming my fears.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

You can always move your voice service to a third party VoIP provider instead of DV

Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

@djenson2000 wrote:
they have the fibre solution where you can plug into the ONT and still use your own router while having a landline

Not any more, that was FVA (fibre voice access) and is now discontinued.

Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you for your useful information 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

There is another series of posts on here that explains how to use a third party router by keeping the BT SH2 as the first connection to the Fibre ONT. I have successfully done this with a Draytek 2962 however there is a slight catch but with a solution.

I set this up several months ago in anticipation of getting DV and it's been working fine however the Firewall in the SH2 has to be disabled and the WiFi disabled too otherwise there is the risk of connecting to the internet without a Firewall if the device you are using were to connect to either the 2.4 or 5GHz SSID in the SH2.

I've just been notified that my line is switching to DV so I ordered my "free" Handset and although my switchover date has not been set yet I thought I would see if the handset would connect to my SH2 and guess what it didn't . 

The catch is this, if the WiFi is disabled, that turns off everything including the DECT base station built into the SH2, the solution is to enable the WiFi but keep the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs turned off. This will leave the BT SH2 with the DECT working and the handset will register but also the BT WiFi HotSpot is enabled so be aware of this and make sure you do not connect anything to it as the Firewall will be disabled in the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

There is absolutely no need to disable the firewall in the SH2 when connecting a third party router.

Turning off wifi doesn't disable DECT and Digital Voice.

0 Ratings