cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: How to use digital voice via third party router

Go to solution

From other previous posts it is unusual you were able to order DV phone until digital voice was activated or about to be activated and. Or ally the DV phone don't pair to the SH2 until digital voice is active on SH2.  As @licquorice said having SH2 WiFi active or not makes no difference to the hub DECT being active

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

The WiFi has to be enabled or the DECT handset will not register with the SH2 but the WiFi SSIDs are turned off because the Firewall is disabled and I use a separate WiFi Network with Draytek Wireless APs on a wired mesh network from my Draytek 2962.

As for ordering before activation, I received a letter from BT 10th May 2023  informing me my line would be moving to DV, next day 11th May I received a postcard inviting me to order either a DV adapter or handset so I ordered the latter and having read your very good and informative post about the DECT bas station built in to the SH2 I thought I’d try and register it. Which it does now that I have enabled the WiFi. According to BT I’m expecting an email to tell me when my switchover date will happen b it I’ve not received it yet.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Hi, I guess you may have seen my first reply to liquorice? My SH2 had the WiFi fully disabled and the handset would not register until I enabled the WiFi. The 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs are still turned off but the wifi itself had to be enabled which in turn enabled the hotspot in the SH2 and enabled the DECT handset to register.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Can't vouch for the registration process, but turning off WiFi does not turn off the DECT base station. The handsets continue to work.

It is not necessary to turn off any firewalls when concatenating 2 routers.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

I think there is a misunderstanding here. 

The SH2 Advanced menu allows for the WiFi to be Enabled or Disabled and only when it is Enabled can the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi SSIDs  can be turned on.  The WiFi (i.e the SSIDs) does not need to be on for the DECT base station to work i.e. the SSIDs are not turned on BUT the WiFi functionality must be enabled or the DECT handset will not register and that is exactly what happens with my SH2. My firmware revision is v0.38.00.10147-BT.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Yes, that is what I said. Once you have registered the handsets, you can turn off the WiFi.

You only need to register the handsets initially, they will continue to work with the WiFi off.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

I'll add to this by saying that when I originally got the SH2 and Digital Voice I DISABLED Wifi and since then have successfully registered devices without any problem.

In fact I just this minute deregistered one of my phones and reregistered as I said with no problem.

Disabling Wifi removes the BT Wifi hotspot so no one can share my connection.🙂

Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Ok I will try that and let you know but as I’m away not able to do that for a couple of days but thanks for the clarification.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

@Adrian007 

Yours is on the same firmware version as mine btw.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Ok so it did register with the wifi disabled, I think I didn't wait long enough.

I had a letter and two postcards telling me my phone line would switch to Digital Voice and to order either a handset or adapter but that was 10th May. I understand I'm supposed to receive an email informing me of the switchover date but I have nothing since the last post card 11th May.

0 Ratings