cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Installation of Fibre 2

I'm considering moving from Virgin, probably to the Entertainment + Fibre 2 package, plus landline. Does anyone know how these would be installed, ideally the phone would go into the hallway and the broadband/TV stuff would go into the living room where the current setup is? Will the installation be flexible and go into the house at two separate locations like this? I want to avoid lots of internal cabling between these two locations.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Installation of Fibre 2

you need to check what is available at your address so enter your address and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

as a new installation you are most likely to get digital voice which is VOIP over your internet connection.  the BT hub acts as a dect base station

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

This gives me the following:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 1000Up to 220--Available1 Stage
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
Y
N
Y
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

That's not very clear (to me anyway), here's what it also said:

As a fibre priority exchange, FTTP has priority over other products if available at the address

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

It looks like you have  FTTP from a pole , so that’s an overhead cable from the pole to a block on the external wall , then another cable ran to the location of the ONT , this probably could be in the hallway but needs to be close to a power supply ….the router ( also needs a power supply )  is connected to ONT , and if using the supplied short Ethernet cable , would be would be next to the ONT , if taking telephony the router can be a wireless DECT base station or a phone can plug into the router.

If you wanted the router in a different room to the ONT , you would have provide that Ethernet connection yourself, far as I know new BTTV boxes have WiFi so can be remote from the router , or can use Ethernet if the router is next to the BTTV box.

I could be wrong , but Openreach fit the fibre to the premises (FTTP) so the CSP ( block on the wall ) and ONT the BTTV  set top box is installed by yourself, but is just a case of following setup instructions 

Message 6 of 13

from results you can get FTTP - fibre to you home - and all packages offered by BT up to 900mb.  just need to decide speed you want and how much you want to pay.  you would certainly get digital voice which is VOIP and does not use existing phone sockets.  The BT hub acts as a dect base station and you should get a free phone.  you can connect an existing phone to the phone socket on back of hub.  there are other solutions if you want to use existing sockets and this is covered by numerous posts on the forum just use search facility

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 13

OK, thanks. I'm just trying to make sense of the new (to me) terminology.

There's a telegraph pole just on the other side of the road, and our TV is at the end of the room on the road side of the house. So maybe they'll be able to run their cable from the telegraph pole to the wall where the TV is and then come straight through? I guess the ONT and router could then be right next to the TV? 

We don't have a wireless DECT phone but even if the phone had to be set up near the TV that wouldn't be too bad.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

do any of your neighbours have a phone line which comes from the pole across the road or is the a pole at back of house

Message 9 of 13

There's a whole bunch of wires coming out from the telegraph pole to nearby houses, but I guess these will be old style phone lines - there's one of these to my own house from back when we had a BT phone line.

There's no other houses behind us, so no other poles behind us.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

If you have an existing openreach phone line then the fibre cable will run alongside the existing cable. Openreach may or may not remove the existing copper cable