cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Installing Fibre Cable

Hello,

I have a second engineer visit due soon …. the first one did not work out!

For me, the simplest way for the internal fibre cable to be installed is to route it around a door frame.

A bookshelf, where my current hub stands, and two power sockets are already located, is next to this door.   All within 1.5 metres of, and at right angles to, an outside front wall where the cable from the telegraph pole would come in.

The engineer didn’t agree!  Strongly warning me against routing fibre optic cabling over a door frame due to the 90° bends that would be encountered.

I’ve since found out that Open Reach have installed fibre cable in my neighbour’s house using this route!!!

• I haven’t seen this exact scenario mentioned on the community posts, but should routing around a door frame be avoided if at all possible, or not?

The alternative suggestion, from the engineer (when I think about it, probably the better one), was to have everything on the front wall.  Unfortunately, I do not have any power sockets there and would need to get an electrician to fit some for me.

• As it is not possible to organise an electrician before the date of the next engineer’s visit, would it be feasible to use a surge protected extension lead, on a temporary basis, to plug-in the two connections necessary.
  • I could also purchase a longer Ethernet cable (Cat 5E? RJ45 End Connectors?) to route back over skirting and the door frame mentioned in order to have the hub in the original position on the bookshelf?  Am I right in thinking this can be done?

First option or the second?  I just need some help solving my dilemma!  Many thanks!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Installing Fibre Cable

If you want to connect the ONT using an extension lead whilst you wait until permanent power is available that’s entirely up to you , if you only want 1 power socket where the ONT is to be sited , because you want to have the router sited remotely, connected by a ( long ) Ethernet cable you supply yourself, or Ethernet sockets and CAT5 or better cabling , again that’s entirely your choice .
Optical cable has a minimum bend radius, tight right angle bends are no good , imagine the cable having to run around the edge of a £2 coin , that is how tight the bend can be without introducing potentially serious losses, 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I have just had the internal fibre installed over the top of a door. The cable does have to bend around in a curve and cannot be bent at right angles like the old copper cable. If you are OK with this, as in some circumstances people might consider it unsightly, then the engineer should install it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks for your reply,

That all sounds great!  I can get the longer Ethernet Cable, and as long as the engineer is happy to use an extension lead for the ONT all should be plain sailing.  Haven’t heard of Ethernet sockets, something else to find out about!  CAT5 cabling should be fine for now.

The extra advice about the 90°bends helped me to make the final decision!

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi Colin,

Thanks for you reply. 

Yes, the first engineer indicated that he would need to do curve the cable but was still not keen to do it. Luckily, I have a second option I can prepare for and if the engineer is happy with using the extension lead on the day I'll go with that.

Thanks again for your input. 

0 Ratings