cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Internal cabling for BT fibre

Getting BT Fibre in later this week.

When house was built a few years ago, the openreach engineers installed a socket near the door and also one in our 'comms' cupboard which is where the BT hub currently resides and where I want to leave the new hub that we have received.

I've just had a thought in regards to the cabling between the two sockets. What is the required cable type between the two sockets for this so to work?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Internal cabling for BT fibre

What are the existing sockets?  And how does the existing cable run between them?

If you currently have an FTTC service, then it's likely the "socket near the door" is a copper terminating point, at which you probably plug in a phone, and from which runs a cable that termintes in an RJ11 (telephone) connector that plugs into the DSL connector on your hub in the comms room.

In that case the "socket near the door" becomes redundant in an FTTP service.  It will be replaced by an "ONT" - the location of which can be agreed between you and the enginner doing the install.  Between the ONT and the Hub runs an Ethernet cable, at least Cat5e or better to support up to 1 Gbps data rate.

Message 3 of 15

@Dave_77 

As @ptrduffy says, CAT 5e cable will be ok.

Our hub is in an understairs cupboard (comms cupboard sounds much better) where the builders installed the wiring for the master socket.

Openreach installed the ONT on the internal wall directly behind the new external CSP box & I ran a CAT 5e cable between the ONT & the hub. 

Message 4 of 15

It is a 5C Master Socket at door and a Mk4 in the comms cupboard.

Will the ONT allow me to access the conduit chased into the wall in order to pull the network cable to the cupboard?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

@ptrduffy - go I should be able to use the rj11 to pull the network cable?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

are you not also moving to digital voice when you upgrade to FTTP?  if DV your existing sockets and wiring become redundant

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Yes all moving. I think there will be an ONT at the doorway.
In the cupboard there should be nothing now - until I pull a cat5e cable from the ONT into there to connect up the hub.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@Dave_77 

Our builders ran the phone cable from the outside through to the understairs by clipping it through the dry wall cavity so there was no conduit for me or Openreach to use.

I had to run it in white plastic trunking so I used D-Line which blends in very well & unless you were specifically looking for it you probably wouldn't notice it.

As regards phones, we have phone sockets in most of the rooms so, with agreement of the Openreach engineer, the master socket was left in situ & connected to the SH2 hub by a BT patch cable so all our telephony works exactly as it did before we had FTTP.  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@Dave_77 

go I should be able to use the rj11 to pull the network cable?

I think you mentioned elsewhere that there is conduit chased into the wall and running from where the existing master socket to the comms room - assuming the conduit is wide enough for the Cat 5e cable, and doesn't have any tight bends, I don't see why you couldn't use the existing copper cable to pull the ethernet cable through.

Also bear in mind that you will need a power socket for the ONT - is there one close to the existing master socket?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Double socket beside the master Socket. I think the conduit is just for the drop so will have to check the attic to see how it is routed.
0 Ratings