cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 10 of 16

Internet Dropping all the time but OpenReach say NO Fault ( please help )

Hi, hoping for some guidance on trying to get BT to realise the persistent fault is in their network. I'm fed copper from FTTC and terminates on a Hub 5 . Internet keeps dropping all the time. Yesterday the O.R engineer tested the line to say all was ok, ? checked for normal conditions on the copper pair back to the cab, all ok, ran a speed test, the d/l and u/l speed ok. 

That allowed him to close the fault, BUT the problem is sill there. Yesterday  while engineer still here, I plugged  Hub 5 straight into the new master socket that he kindly fitted, ( removing the face plate to disconnect the internal wiring ) and " proved " conclusively that there is still internet dropping out ( also plugged in a new hub 6 that was provided by BT when we migrated to fibre ) ... so .... still with this fault, I,m stuck , Spoke to BT again this morning, she was insistent on sending out, yet again, an O.R engineer, ( this would be a 3rd visit if I agreed to it ) which I said was futile, - after a long long wait, she flagged it back saying that " fault not cleared "

All I can do in the meantime, is wait and hope that this weird fault can be cleared in the network , where ever it is ?

This is not a Wireless problem, its fundamental to the internet data coming in /out to the hub. 

Any thoughts please . On previous posts ive uploaded the hub stats that show a good clean copper pair ( hub to cab )

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16

Intermittent Internet on FTTC broadband

Hi, all. Like some advice please. Incidentally I posted this same problem a couple of weeks ago and problem has returned sadly.

I have a stable ( as far as I know ) BB connection. steady blue light on hub. However, a couple of weeks ago, The fault I reported to BT was intermittent internet ? - this was evident by web pages, loading " erratically " - and more evident, and this is why I knew there was a problem, was not getting " on demand " on sky box, and when I went on " services " then " network " on sky box, the error message was / is , "  connection to On Demand - FAIL " ( cannot find connection to router ( or something like that )

Any way, the openreach engineer arrived , all internal wiring OK , however, he said slight battery on the line, which he fixed before he could close the fault. - I must mention that this weird problem sorted itself out 2 days before he turned up, but 5 days prior to the appointment, I installed software on my laptop to monitor 24/there7 internet connectivity and it records a text log ( as proof so to speak )

Its been ok since then, but the last 2 days its started happening again sadly.

Its as if data packets are being lost intermittently , rather than the actual BB link ( as a guess ) and as I was discussing with the OR engineer, - that side of things, ( if its beyond the Local loop ) its something the engineer cant sort.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, incidentally , my software log says only 3 disconnects in last 24 hours, BUT the problem is present as I type this

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 2 of 16

Re: Intermittent Internet on FTTC broadband

can you post the hub stats and check the line for noise by doing quiet line test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 16

These are the latest hub stats
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ53122784
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 05/03/19
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:48:48
6. Data rate: 19999 / 73754
7. Maximum data rate: 27342 / 77599
8. Noise margin: 10.2 / 3.6
9. Line attenuation: 19.3 / 17.3
10. Signal attenuation: 19.2 / 17.3
11. Data sent/received: 114.4 MB / 613.5 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-S523
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-S523
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: a0:1b:29:6f:eb:5c
24. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant: AA
26. Boot loader: 1.0.0
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

are you having problems with ethernet connections or just wireless connections?

as you have the hh5 I would split the 2.4/5ghz networks by giving them different SSID as some devices have problems with both bands having the same SSID.  I would also use a wifi analyser and see what wireless channels are in use near you then manually select a less congested channel and see if that helps wifi

have you split the networks   

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Hi,
I have split the 2 wireless bands. this was done a while ago. The issue is the same with ethernet as well as wireless. The " old " sky box has to be connected via ethernet, and the problem with " loss of data packets " if thats what it is ? shows up as the loss of connection for the " on demand " element function, i.e it either doesnt connect for on demand, or the handshaking from sky box to sky's servers is intermittent ( sometimes ) and times out with the error message on the tv screen.
presently, im on laptop ( wi-fi ) disconnected, ( using ethernet ) and the odd page that I try to load is either slow / erratic / or " hangs " until the data flow resumes ( at least thats what it visually looks like ) however, the software I have which is a " real-time " interconnection monitor shows only 1 internet disconnect 20 minutes ago . - weird.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

what prev msg should have read is I'm on laptop using ethernet - NOT wi-fi
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

so not a wifi problem  I would add that your stats show the 2.4/5ghz networks have same SSID so not split and also automatic channel select

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Oh yes, re splitting the 2 wireless bands, I’ll log back in to hub 5 to split them apart.

i notice that trying to log in to hub via Wi-fi is troublesome- logging in with wired a lot easier . Will update as necessary, thanks for the replies thus far

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Hi all

With my ongoing issue with intermittent " No Internet " I registered a fault with BT and an Openreach engineer is booked for tomorrow tuesday.  In brief, although I have a BB connection, I'm served FTTC, The internet keeps dropping, periodically, the symptoms are slow loading web pages, hit and miss as to whether i can get Sky " On demand " services, The alexa device hardly connects, - if I can " catch it " to connect, for example, to play a radio station, it will play for a few seconds, then stop, the list goes on with this poor internet connectivity.

The reason for this post, is I am logged in to the main Hub 5 ( this has had a factory reset very recently ) and I was wondering if someone could please tell me if its worth me posting the recent " Event Log " ?

All I have posted lately is the Hub Stats, that show the DSL data, ( line loss in dB etc ) - there is some interesting reading on the " event log " - unfortunately, it does not mean much to me, but was hoping that someone might be able to analyse it , such that it " might " point to where the problem lies and I can mention it to the O.R. engineer tomorrow.  Incidentally, the last visit from the O.R engineer proved NO internal wiring issue at my house, - a slight battery fault on the copper pair somewhere, however, the fault had corrected itself 2 days before the engineering visit as it happens. Thanks in anticipation of a reply .

0 Ratings