cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Is there a scam running about the fibre upgrade?

Go to solution

I had a phone call today suggesting that it was to help with the upgrade of my internet connection to fibre. The caller wanted to tke control of my connection, and later wanted me to log in to my bank's security service because it was compromised. I was threatened that my IP woud be cancelled if I did not go ahead, and they sent me a one time code that looked like a message from BT, but transferred the call to a 'manager in bT's Cybersecurity team' who sent me a further one time code with the same number! I was leary about connecting to the bank and ended the call. The Internet is still working. Was this a genuine BT call? It seems unlikely.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is there a scam running about the fibre upgrade?

Go to solution

@absimjwrote:

The caller wanted to take control of my connection

Of course it's a  scam. I sincerely hope you didn't allow this as you post suggests you may have?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Of course it's a scam. Why on earth would an ISP ask you to log into your bank?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

BT will never cold call you about your Internet connection or anthing else to do with your BT account. Nobody other than a scammer will ask to control your computer or ask you to download anything. 

The code they send is a genuine code from BT. It is sent to you if you try to change your password.

The scammers know this so if they have your email address, which is probably all over the Internet at various sites you use and your phone number they call you and say they will sent you a code to prove they are from BT.

They then try a reset of your password knowing a code will be sent to you. Once they have done that the then ask you to repeat the code to prove you are the person they sent the code to and if you give it to them they now have access to your BT email account and your BT account.

They now trawel through your email account using it to gain access to your bank etc.

If you did give them them the code you need to inform your bank and any other companies that you use on the Internet and inform them you have been hacked. 

You also need to change your email password and check there are no rules or forwarding email addresses set up.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/email-security/how-can-i-tell-if-my-email-account-is-no-longer-secure

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
No I didnt.
And I have since uninstalld he app that gave them remote control of my system
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

A good rule of thumb is that if you receive an unsolicited phone call it is a scam.

I don't answer the phone unless I recognise the number. If it's genuine, they will leave a message.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@absimj welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'd recommend following the guidance and report the scam call on the bt.com website 

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I tried to report this BUT

- the online form required a valid phone number for the scammer  -  but would not recognise the number I got by calling 1471!

- The online form was limited to 500 characters - far fewer than needed to describe what happened

- the form rejected a shorter message as invalid without spelling out what might be valid!

Do BT really want to know? What a time waster!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@absimj I'm so sorry, there appears to be an issue with the online form, I'll get that reported. I managed to work around it by dropping the first zero and inserting a + symbol.

Neil

0 Ratings