cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Just joined BT after house move and told Fibre essential is all that is available but not sure why

Go to solution

Hi,  I recently moved to a new house and set up BT broadband as have been with them before and was happy and it is also what the previous owner had.  

When I joined I was told fiber essential was all that was available to my address was a top speed of 36mb.  as they said its all I could get I happily took it, however, after talking to the previous owner she had Fibre 1 and an average speed of around 50mb.

I had a look at the BT broadband availability checker for my address and from my novice eyes looking at that im unsure why I cant get a better package.

Would someone with a better understanding have a look at the attachments and let me know if i'm right or wrong.

Thanks in advance

Current speed.PNGupgrade options.PNGaddress checker.PNGHub manager.PNG

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Just joined BT after house move and told Fibre essential is all that is available but not sure w

Go to solution

Can you post the full stats from your hub.

Advanced settings > technical log > information.

You are currently getting 40M but you have an offer of fibre1 which should give you a higher speed. The 36M quoted is just an estimate, not a cast in stone figure.

Message 3 of 12

Re: Just joined BT after house move and told Fibre essential is all that is available but not sure w

Go to solution

Thanks,  the 36mb is about what I get. I have done a number of speed checks the the router gets about 36.2 every time. 

im just confused as the previous owner got around 50mb and looking at the checker thing that looks about what I could get on fibre 1, but when I phone ltd bt they said 36mb was the best I could get and to stay on the current package and that upgrade image appears to be why they are saying it  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Can you post the requested information please? Then we can see what your line is capable of.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

stats.PNG

Sorry,  missed that request and read message on phone.  Uploaded now.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

In fact that image deosnt appear to have all the info on it.  please see this one.

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

As you can see, you are getting just under 40M which is as good as your line will support.

Your max data rate is the same as your actual rate.

Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

So that is the best I can get.  Thanks for your help.  I didnt really understand what I was looking at! 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I'm afraid so, although it does look slow compared to the checker figures which are usually on the conservative side anyway.

Is your hub plugged into the master socket or an extension?

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

As you are on a Huawei cab then if you can maintain a stable connection  then the DLM will hopefully reduce your noise margin down to about 3db which will give you a bit of a speed boost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.