cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Just signed up to 500Mb full fibre, where will the router be?

Go to solution

I understand FTTP doesn't use the master socket. How can I identify where the fibre comes into the property and thus where the router will be stationed? 

This is so I can prepare ahead of time to run a CAT6 to my office room. 

Thanks.  

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Just signed up to 500Mb full fibre, where will the router be?

Go to solution

Hi @Joeyc   I would imagine that is something you need to agree with the Openreach engineer on the day of the installation.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

The OR modem or Optical Network Termination is where the internal fibre run will terminate as aside outside at ground level there will be a mounted junction box to change from external to internal grade due to the risk of toxic smoke hazard in event of a fire and increased bend-ability. The modem needs to be permanently powered you then connect the router (another socket required) via an Ethernet cable into the available 1GE port.

The length of fibre run will depend on what reasonable agreement can be had with the OR installer subject to some time/length limits but you could then extend the connection between the ONT and router up to 100m apart if your available network setup allows if something reasonable cannot be agreed on the day.

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for the responses. I just assumed the fibre was already installed up to the premises in this area. 

If they need to run the fibre to the house, will they run it over the top of the driveway or can it be installed under the paved drive? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

does your existing phone line enter your home underground or from a pole as the new fibre cable will likely follow the same path to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

No poles around here. I only noticed that today but didn't put 2 and 2 together. 

I guess it will come up in the living room around about the same place the current master socket is placed. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Could you paste the results of the page below specifically near the bottom it should state survey UG stage 2 etc..

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Please remember to edit and personal info out however
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

Screenshot_6.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Reads positive actually 1 stage install (i.e. single visit) and I must say you are really spoilt for connection choices from BT Wholesale 🙂

So they'll likely use the existing duct with a draw rope to thread the external fibre install the ext junction box drill through or pass the internal fibre using existing wall conduit and mount next to current master socket location unless otherwise agreed.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks. Sounds good then. I'd love to have the fibre box on the first floor in my office so I can use ethernet into my PC/NAS etc. REALLY don't want to use powerline adapters. Although I don't mind drilling a hole in the wall and running an ethernet cable externally.

Not sure if allowed, but another ISP has an amazing deal right now £25 for 1Gb down and up. Just not in my area 😔. Although they do use CGNAT so would be a downside for me. 

500Mb is more than enough, but I'd love a higher upload. As long as I can port forward I'm happy.

0 Ratings