cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Looking to purchase house and worried about potential FTTC speed and reliability

Hi everyone, I've just had an offer accepted on a house and as both my partner and I work from home fast and reliable internet is a must.  Our current usage is video conferencing calls and general internet use in the day and evenings are HD streaming on 2 tvs (Prime/Sky), Xbox gaming, Tablets (two kids).  We're on Fibre 1 and get 48mb download and 10 mbs upload which has always been fine.

On viewing we did ask the vendor about their internet and they said it was fast and fine for their needs.  I think we we're lulled into a false sense of security and now after using the BT broadband availability checker tool and looking at the speeds we could be potentially be offered, I'm very worried.  The broadband deal checker suggests a download range of 20-35mb, Upload speed range 4Mb - 6Mb and estimated Stay Fast Guarantee 17Mb.  The line stats I could find are below.  The vendor is not the most technical and although I've asked the agent to double check what sort of speeds they are getting and reliability they weren't convinced they would get a reply.  

So my worries are:  Will the increased distance from the cabinet which lowers the line speed also likely impact the reliability of the line?  If I get speeds at the lower end (or even top end of the estimate) what real world capacity will this give me based on the typical usage I have mentioned? I realise this is no exact science but  a stable/fast internet connection is vital for us. Any advice would be gratefully received.  

line stats.JPG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Looking to purchase house and worried about potential FTTC speed and reliability

As you can see from the checker result, the current owners have received a maximum download speed of 32.39Mbps and upload speed of 6.62Mbps. Those are actual figures not estimates.

Stability of connection is more related to the quality of the line rather than actual distance per se, but obviously the greater the distance the more scope there is for poor joints etc. There is no way of determining stability without seeing long term stats from the router.

Message 3 of 5

Re: Looking to purchase house and worried about potential FTTC speed and reliability

You can see form dslchecker that on 10 march the line speed was 32/6mb but you cannot tell about stability. However if the line was unstable I would not expect the speed to be near top of estimated range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 5

Hi, really appreciate the reply. Assuming those stats are consistent (32.39Mbps and upload speed of 6.62Mbps) what are your thoughts on how that would pan out in our usage? (video conferencing calls and general internet use in the day as working from home and evenings are HD streaming on 2 tvs (Prime/Sky), Xbox gaming, Tablets (two kids). I currently use three Deco M5s so appreciate there would be some drop off from those figures as the signal is bounced around the house.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

You should be fine, HD streaming only requires about 5Mbps, gaming doesn't require a lot of bandwidth, videoconferencing about 2-3Mbps

0 Ratings