Hi all, I am hoping maybe someone on here can help,
I have had 4 faults reported with BT over the last 2 months, with little compensation and little help, the first time they sent an engineer and he just removed the filter from the phone line as when the FTTC was installed at first we only had one socket but it is a dual socket now so not neccessary - this did not fix the speed and disconncection issues experienced at the time, so a week later after they closed my fault I contacted BT again, they sent open reach a 2nd time and this time they tested the line and said there was a high resistance fault with a cable so the engineer replaced the cable from my house to the pole and to the manhole cover a few roads down. This seemed to have "fixed" the issues for a little a while but about a week or so later there has been huge issues with random latency and also if anyone dare to try and upload anything we get less then half the speed we are advertised and it will cause latency to enter many thousands of milliseconds for every connected device (including the one that is trying to do the upload). So I contacted BT again, they sent an openreach engineer out for the 3rd time, they tested the line and said the line is good so assumed the problem may be with my smart hub 2 so they arranged a new one to be sent out but the issue still remained so I contacted BT again and it was very annoying having to go through a copy paste chat for an hour where they didnt even bother to change the words from their script just directly pasting "2.If we've sent them a new Hub as part of a regrade or they've just moved to BT, make sure they've plugged this in and are using it" etc. without even changing any of the wording to direct it towards me and after all of that they sent out a 4th open reach engineer who tested the line again and it was still showing fine, like the last time one came, they changed the RJ11 cable for good measure, and this time also connected their laptop by ethernet to the hub and did a test on speedtest.net which was showing only 13Mbps down and 0.9Mbps up when the line is suppose to supply 55Mbps down and 18Mbps up by the readouts of his tests and what the hub shows the line connection speed to be, so he said we have an issue with throughput that BT themselves would have to solve, but nobody I contact in customer service seems to know what they are talking about, often referring to cables as "the grey cable" when the RJ11 cable BT provide is not even grey it is black! and grey cable is not a type of a cable. It is really frustrating and I am at my wits end at this point. A few days ago we had another new hub delivered, just to rule it out as the previous "new" one may have been refurbished, the engineer was on the phone to BT and they said they would make sure that this one to be sent out is brand new, or at least so I was told but even still the last few days the issue is still present, especially when any uploads are made, it causes so much latency, packet loss etc. to every device... It is really frustarting that the internet has not really "worked" since the end of April at this point, would also be nice if there was the option to upgrade to FTTP.... Family memebers 5 mins away can get it but apparently it is not available in my area.
Perhaps there is a more technicaly member of BT staff here that can help to fix this low throughput issue? - As this 2nd new hub does not seem to have resolved it either.
Hi @Ragnarok_, welcome to the forum and sorry you've not been able to get this fault with after so many engineer visits.
I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to assist you with this.
Just to confirm, this is still an issue. Latency in general is higher now then it was before all of the aformentioned issues but if any uploading is commenced the connection is effectively killed even for the device performing the upload. It causes massive latency in excess of 700-2000ms+ in any application running be it on the same machine or another machine on the network which causes webpages not to load, videos not to buffer, games to lag horrendously. This never use to happen and is now a problem even with only 1 device connected to the network.
Here is a speedtest from earlier today.
I believe from further research today the issue now may be due to bufferbloat. If any device starts any upload at all, even if it is merely only a speedtest then every device immediately suffers unusable service.
I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem now though, everything worked fine before I started to have issues with a line fault.
You need to do the speed test using an ethernet connection not wireless
This is on Ethernet, I never use wireless it just causes more problems then any convenience it can provide