cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: Openreach customer service point installed outside new build property

You sure no ONT exists internally because that look like the off cut of an Inside Out FTTP Cable Openreach use.

Inside Out Cable is the one that goes from the CSP to ONT.

Sorry, can’t upload the photo.

I’m talking about the black piece of cable/sheathing on the floor on the left hand side of your photo.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 14

Re: Openreach customer service point installed outside new build property

Hi, I had a breif look in the cupboards as i am not yet in the house I couldnt see any open reach stuff on the inside, i will check again, I see what you mean about the cable i will check that when next there. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 14

Fibre internet at a new build house Customer service point installed but no ONT

Hi, I have done a few posts regarding this I have now found the ONT router in the property it is in the box still unopened.  I am assuming without this on and connected no internet is possible?

I have seen the cable it connects to under the stairs, Is it as simple as connecting it myself? or do I need to get an open reach engineer out? I have emailed open reach who have just told me they are still looking into the problem even though I have stated the ONT has never been taken out of the box. 

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

Re: Fibre internet at a new build house Customer service point installed but no ONT

Your situation seems weird, if an Openreach tech had brought the ONT with them to install FTTP when the plot was called off by the developer ( but before the purchaser moves in ) , why leave it in the box and not fit it in the normal way  , if the development was DSI ( developer self install ) that’s where Openreach make an extra payment to the developer , and they fit the ONT themselves, it’s usually the electrician, who probably also ran the internal optical cable from the location of the ONT inside the house to the location of the CSP on the external wall , so why didn’t the developers ‘sparky’ fit the ONT ? , having said that even on DSI , Openreach still visit to splice the fibre in the CSP and authenticate the the ONT , so the ONT still being in the box suggests a developer that hasn’t a clue.

I know of situations where , the developer basically hands over the plot , before telling Openreach , or they release the plot to the purchaser, before they have provided the Openreach ducts and boxes necessary for the FTTP network cables  , and by the time they complete this work , every time Openreach  visit , there is no access and obviously they developer no longer has the keys

In these situations Openreach leave a card , asking for the occupant to arrange an appointment ( directly with OR because at this stage there is no ISP involved ) and  that request goes unanswered, sometimes be because they have decided they never intend to use Openreach, but should they rent , or sell , it screws up any future occupants, this can also happen if the plot is bought ‘off plan’ and the purchaser has no intention of ever living in it , but intends rents it out  and basically never actually visits the property and the letting agent they use gets the keys from the developer .

Anyway , you could connect the SC/APC plug into the appropriate socket on the ONT and power it up , but it won’t be authenticated, so even if you do it connected correctly and don’t damage either the cable or ONT , chances are the PON light will flash ( signifying no authentication ) or the LOS ( loss of signal ) will be lit , signifying there is no light being detected, so your fibre isn’t spliced through to the splitter, so either way it won’t speed anything up , so it’s wise to not touch it at all .

In the situation I describe ( where the Openreach newsites tech can not get access ) they arrange to get the address inhibited from making an order ( because the kit hasn’t been provided and authenticated as a normal newsites address) but it should be possible to resurrect the address on OR systems , but it will ( unlike most new builds with FTTP from the outset ) need a ‘service delivery’ visit , and the ISP ( BT in your case ) to join the dots.

0 Ratings