cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

New Build - only copper available?

Go to solution

Hi all, 

I’m really confused by BT and OpenReach. I have just moved into a new build and one of the houses on my estate has fibre optic at 1gb yet I am unavailable to have fibre optic and only copper? When I search in my postcode I can get a max of 4mbps. 

an open reach engineer came round to install a landline and he literally said to me, “why are you getting copper installed; there is fibre optic cable running alongside this house”. He then said maybe get in touch in 48hrs as the landline might activate the connection to the house but since then nothing has changed… 

I have called BT pretty much every day and get the same response on each call - there is no fibre optic available. I have spoken with the builder of the house and he has confirmed fibre optic should be available and my neighbour has also confirmed he has it installed into his house. 

it just seems like it’s a “computer says no” situation despite my efforts in explaining that one of their engineers literally confirmed to me there is fibre optic ready to be installed into my house outside (the cable is wrapped in a circle on the pole outside and ready to be joined to my house). I contacted open reach and they have shifted the blame to BT and have said it’s on them to chase network/infrastructure issues and I need to contact them. 

Has anyone had any issues similar or seen any other posts like mine? I just don’t know what to do, we both work from home and we can’t work on a 4mbps connection.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: New Build - only copper available?

Go to solution

@Reeceg353 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Hi mate

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand

33050--Available--

It says FTTP is available and then goes on to say later in the paragraph;

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

The developer should have liaised with Openreach to install fibre at all the properties

Speak to the FTTP team 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

Hi there,

The developer has had fibre optic installed to the plot; he himself built his house at the end of my road (private road with 4 new builds) and he gets 1GBps.

The line runs down the road (isn’t under the ground but runs along telegraph poles), this was confirmed by an open reach engineer but he wasn’t able to do any work that wasn’t put on an order. I can’t put a fibre optic order down because apparently fibre optic isn’t available

have just got off the phone with BT and they have raised a “fibre availability form” with open reach, takes 10 working days typically for a response. I guess I am powerless for the time being? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Has he got native WBC FTTP or did he pay for FTTPod which is a different product and costs a fortune. Did he liaise with Openreach to provide fibre for the whole estate? Have you spoken to the FTTP team on the number previously posted?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

@Reeceg353wrote:

Hi mate

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand

33050--Available--

Hi @Reeceg353   

FTTP on Demand is a business product costing £1000s to install and subscribe. If your address has residential FTTP on the BT Wholesale checker it will say WBC FTTP up to 1000.

Virtually everyone without FTTP available gets the FTTP on Demand shown as available.

WBC = Wholesale Broadband Connect.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

New builds don’t get copper and FTTP , it’s one or the other , if the developer contacts OR at an early enough stage in the development, then the area is built as FTTP for free but with the proviso that ‘small’ developments 2-19 dwellings , the developer is required to make a contribution towards the FTTP build , if they don’t want to do this , then copper is supplied.
Chances are the the OR tech probably doesn’t understand the process , if a close by property has FTTP , that could be a fibre leased line , nothing to do with FTTP , or if they used FTTPod ( as already stated , this is a bespoke product where the person ordering FTTP pays for the FTTP network to be constructed right to their  address , and very close by neighbours could benefit by being able to order ‘native’ WBC FTTP , as a consequence ) , but it’s not necessary obvious what neighbours, if any , will benefit, someone could be relatively close by , say 30m away , but won’t  benefit, there are too many variables to say just because it’s within a set distance they will benefit,

The fact that that your address shows FTTPod , but not WBC FTTP , means that you cannot order native FTTP , irrespective of a close by FTTP , which may not even be FTTP but a leased line.

You obviously could order FTTPod yourself, but BT don’t offer it , you would need an ISP that does, and potentially very deep pockets, as it can be expensive 

Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Hi @Reeceg353 

What does the checker show for your neighbours addresses?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

It is always possible it is an AltNet and not OR FTTP. Your neighbour should know who they get FTTP from.

0 Ratings