cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

No Broadband after Copper to FTTC Upgrade

Go to solution

I wonder if someone could help me? I am stuck in a bit of a loop with BT in resolving the following:

On 1st June I ordered an upgrade to Fibre 1.

The upgrade was due for 14th June. The engineer came as expected, disconnect the copper line, connected us to Fibre but said there was a fault that would need to be corrected.

I contacted BT to clarify what was happening between 14th-17th June with varying answers suggesting that it was a fault at the exchange, in the cabinet or at the property, and have been stuck with the situation of needing to leave Openreach 48hr to resolve a system error.

A second engineer was booked (this was booked as an amended start date for the upgrade rather than repairing a fault) for 21st June. They came out, confirmed that the build was correct, the connection should be working and said that ‘the fault is with BT - the line is as it should be’. I rang the BT Tech Team who confirmed that the hub was not working and now suggest that their May be a fault on the property and so are looking to book another engineer (not yet booked due to the 48hr wait with Openreach). 

I don’t really know what to do next as I don’t see that it would be a fault with our Hub (Smart2) or a connection in the house, or at least it would be a big coincidence given that it worked fine previous to the upgrade, and the Hub is compatible with FTTC. I have reset the hub, run through the diagnostics suggested by BT but no resolution yet. 

We have had no broadband connection now for a week with no idea as to the actual fault, but plenty of delays caused by the relationship between BT and Openreach and the need to wait 48hr each time. Please help!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: No Broadband after Copper to FTTC Upgrade

Go to solution

Sorry but confusing   you post initially suggests  move from old adsl to FTTC which is fibre to cabinet and existing copper wire to your home   if that is correct are you still using master socket?  Or you also post that engineer removed copper suggesting you may be on FTTP fibre to the home and no longer use the old copper wire.

Which do you have?

Do you have an ONT something like this. ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hey there,

‘Move from old adsl to FTTC which is fibre to cabinet and existing copper wire to your home’ is correct and yes I am still using the master socket. I do not have an ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

when you connect the hub what colour is the light?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

It could be your statement that the engineer disconnected the copper line that has caused confusion as FTTC  doesn’t disconnect the copper line , it doesn’t necessarily need an engineer visit to your home if upgrading from exchange based ADSL to FTTC , usually the ISP sends you the new router ( if a new one is needed ) in the post and the engineer visits the FTTC cabinet , there isn’t really a reason for a home visit as that’s normally a self install/setup , quite often nothing at home changes , ADSL goes off , FTTC comes on.

You can get situations where the copper line is incorrectly recorded ( for example ) as being off copper  Cab1 , but the reality was you are connected to copper Cab2 , when your order was processed your FTTC is allocated in FTTC Cab 1 , but this isn’t any good , and unfortunately it’s not the case that the engineer can simply allocate themselves a port in FTTC Cab 2 , the job needs to be cancelled and reordered using the correct routing regarding the correct cabinet, but you have been told that everything Openreach is apparently correct ,  normally there is no reason why your previous ADSL service shouldn’t continue to work while errors are sorted out, unless your upgrade wasn’t BT ADSL to BT FTTC,  if it were from another ISP they may have effectively switched off your old ADSL service….do you still have telephony ( dialtone ) or was part of the ‘upgrade’ a switch to DV ( digital voice ) ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
The hub stayed connected throughout the upgrade and the light is amber.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Oddly enough, I still have a working phone line.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, I should also say that the order was BT ADSL to BT FTTC

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Still no broadband connection but a lovely advisor has ordered an engineer to come to the house on Monday. Hopefully this will either resolve it, or rule out a fault at home.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

It is fixed! Our third Openreach engineer fixed a ‘session issue’ both at the cabinet and the house. My only learning point is that BT evidently had a poor relationship with Openreach. All of our engineers were given poor notes, BT Advisors were only able to book engineers after 48hr gaps between raising anything with Openreach, and we were stuck for the first week on a ‘system error’ where one order wasn’t closed properly and therefore couldn’t raise a fault on an incomplete order. 

All fixed and will now look into the automatic compensation scheme total. 

0 Ratings