cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Non-branded ONT

Go to solution

Hi there

I’m a new tenant in my property and I have an activation date from BT Openreach for Friday.

Previous tenant had fibre broadband through BT.

I’ve received an SMS asking me to verify the ONT. I have found it and it seems healthy, however it is not BT Openreach branded. It’s a relatively new build so I’m not anticipating any issue.

Do I need to request an engineer visit, or should I just confirm the ONT is in situ?

Thanks

Marcus

fd3568c9-e02f-49b5-876f-dd7a921a82e0.jpeg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Non-branded ONT

Go to solution

fd3568c9-e02f-49b5-876f-dd7a921a82e0.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Use the camera icon to upload an inage. Is the ONT serial number visable.? If so reply to the SMS in the affirmatiove and include the serial number.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks Pippin. File size was too big, managed it eventually! I’ll try to find the serial number - it’s awkward in the under-stairs cupboard (and I’m 6’7”!!)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

That's just a case, the ONT is inside it.

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks. Yes you are correct, I’ve just opened it and found an Openreach ONT inside. #feelingsilly
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Interesting - never heard of cases for ONTs. What's the purpose of them? I see there is a "Charging" light on the case, so does it provide some sort of battery backup to the ONT?
Also how are the warning lights transmitted from ONT to the outside of the case, given that they seem to be in different positions?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@chrisjp 

It's purely decorative & also housed the backup battery for the early, now defunct, VOIP service.

The case has windows in the lid for the LEDs.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

In new build situations the newer ONT’s without battery back up etc are also enclosed within a case designed to fit onto an electrical pattress box , to give a neater appearance, ONT fitted in a retro build situation don’t normally have a ONT case fitted , new build ONT cases are show here (  if interested  ) 

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for...

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Honestly, the reason Openreach started using those massive cases we used to call the Breeze Block?

Its because the new 1+1 ONT they housed had,

Openreach, a BT Group Business written on them.

When Openreach then went Limited they had to stop using the, a BT Group Business but they had a massive stockpile of 1+1 ONT’s to use up. Rather than bin them or pay to have the ONT Casing itself redone it worked out cheaper to just put them in those awful looking cases.

As soon as the new stock of ONT’s came out that just said, Openreach they stopped using them.

0 Ratings