cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

ONT can’t be moved until I attain NAD Key?

Go to solution

I recently moved property and now reside in a shared house. The ONT is on the ground floor and I live on the third floor. When the Openreach engineer was here, he said it would be fine to have the ONT moved to my room (as to avoid the 20m Ethernet cable I have routed down the two floors) as long as I had landlords permission. He said to contact BT once I have permission. I’ve just got off the phone with BT and they have stated I need to register my room as an individual unit with a gold level NAD key in order to be able to have an additional ONT at the property. I asked if the ONT could be moved but apparently I need to register this first because moving the ONT is too technical. In all honesty it sounded very strange. They said perhaps Openreach have a work-around and to contact them first. If not then to contact Royal Mail to attain the NAD Key. Any help or support would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: ONT can’t be moved until I attain NAD Key?

Go to solution

Who pays for the broadband in this shared accommodation ? , if it’s not you ( so the BT bill isn’t in your name and you don’t pay BT  directly) then you have no authority to ask anyone to move anything, if it’s the landlord that pays for broadband and allows tenants access as part of the ‘rent’ , then the landlord could request the ONT to be relocated, but it would be chargeable work, if the landlord doesn’t mind the ONT being relocated, but expects you to pay , you still couldn’t arrange this yourself , if the bill isn’t in your name the bill payer would have to do this 

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @philomade and welcome to our community.

@iniltous reply is spot on. Only the acount holder/bill payer can request the ONT move and it would be chargeable.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Yeah I’m the one paying. There is just an ONT on the first floor with no router connected.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@philomade 

are you the actual BT account holder even though you are paying the bill you may not be account holder

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

If you are the account holder why were you not present for the install and request the ONT in a place preferable to you?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

To be clear , this is a FTTP ONT and not a copper NTE  you want moving ?, it would be odd for a single dwelling , even one that is ‘shared’ to have 2x ONT , an unused one , from a presumably installed, used , then ceased FTTP service , and a second separate FTTP service , the one you use , and when this ONT was installed it presumably was placed with the consent of whoever ordered this service , in other words they were ‘happy’ for this ONT to be fitted where it currently is , if you pay for the service , was it you that ordered it , or you simply took over a FTTP service that was already in place ? 

As stated , if it’s your ‘service’ , and it just needs to be relocated within the same building, then you should be able to get an order raised to internally shift the working ONT , this would probably require a new optical cable ran from the existing CSP to the new location, and the existing ONT refitted there, it shouldn’t need a single room changed to an address in its own right or anything as convoluted as that, but it’s a uncommon request , so you will need to explain what’s required , it’s the FTTP equivalent of shifting a NTE master socket .

As said this chargeable and may well cost as much as an ‘install’ 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yes I’m the account holder

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Did you read my post? I’ve just moved to a shared house, the engineer came to install, told me he needs landlords permission to move the ONT to my room but that it wouldn’t be a problem, there was already one on the first floor which I’m using but need the ONT moved 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @philomade welcome to the community and thanks for posting. From what you've described it's an internal ONT shift that's required, this would be chargeable if the ONT was already there before you moved in. I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team if you'd like our help organising this.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings