cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

On a Positive Note.

Go to solution

Four days ago we migrated to BT 900Mbps FTTP, (broadband only), from Zen and up to now the connection speed is much better so praise where praise is due.

However, we have noticed some things that could be improved.

First: We tried the SS2 and it was mostly a real disappointment. - Surprisingly the Wifi Range of our SH2 was good but the GUI was slow and the internet speeds were much lower, especially the UP speed, than our normal router, (an Asus RT AX88u). - On the SS2 the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi could not be separated, the DCHP cannot be turned off, it kicks out it's own BTWifiX and FON to passers bye, (which cannot be turned off on the router), it is locked to BT and we are relieved that we are not locked into using the SH2.

Second: This is subjective up to now but when the Dynamic IP changes the speed and performance seems to change which could be a bummer if that is correct.

It could be that changing between routers for testing purposes causes someone in the exchange to turn the tap down or there may be a BT automatic system similar to the DLM  but I do not know. - I reinstalled the SH2 to use the BT Speed Test feature via MyBT but apparently that is no longer available

Does changing routers for testing purposes cause line speed and performance deterioration ?

It is still early days and I am mostly very pleased but I am somewhat concerned that I could be getting the new customer speed experience for the first 30 days but if it stays good or gets even better BT has turned a leaf.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: On a Positive Note.

Go to solution

There is no new customer experience with FTTP. If connection good now then that is what you will get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Good to know that there is considered to be no New Customer Experience.

However, the main question that I asked was;

Does changing routers for testing purposes cause line speed and performance deterioration ?

Does anyone know the answer to this query ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

There is no DLM with FTTP. When I was changing between SH2 and TPLINK I didn't see any change in connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I realize that it is partly subjective but when the Dynamic IP changed the speed and performance seemed to change which could have been due to the system responding in some way to the connection dropping as the routers were changed or it could, for some other reason.

I do understand the theory and I know that there is not supposed to be a version of the dreaded DLM with FTTP which I have had for three years, (albeit with a Static IP).

However, there was a difference and I am not sure why. - I made a contemporaneous record of the different speed test as I changed between the routers and back and there was a definite change but this testing period was too short to make a conclusion that changing routers could if cause a deterioration if only for a period.

Being new to the SS2 I had wanted to give it a good try, especially because our whole house is wired with Cat6a Ethernet Cable so we use very few items that need wifi but even the SS2 ethernet performance was inferior.

I have not had a Dynamic IP for years years: If there is no DLM equivalent; then, looking for another potential reason for a speed performance change can a Dynamic IP address change alter the speed / performance ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I spoke too soon.

This morning the connection had deteriorated and it would not resolve we pages so I changed to Google DNS which seemed a little better but still not good.

I pulled out the SH2 and that was the same. - A few reboots and it was working with the SH2 albeit slowly around 390 Mbps DOWN and 50 Mbps UP. - I eventually contacted BT Fault support and a helpful lady could see what I was getting and she did a profile reset.

At present the DOWN is around 700 Mbps and the UP seems to be capped at 50Mbps.

The lady asked me to give it to the end of the week when she will ring me back, (I have no idea why it needs a few days on the SH2 as there is no training period but I will go through the system).

This need to use the SH2 for fault finding is a real pain especially if it is supposed to.be left for days.

Why does it need days to see how it goes ?

Does anyone know how to turn off the Wifi Hotspots on the SH2 ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
To turn off BT Wifi: https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-
Opting out on your account will cause your hub to disable the service.
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I had already tried that and for me it does not work because I cannot see the options in my account.

This could be because when I login to MyBT the account number that I first see is an old redundant account from years ago and it has not live products associated with it. 

When I go to billing it let's me the current account via the drop down account choice which lets me see the correct account and bill but when I navigate to products I suspect the expected products and links are not shown.

I have already asked customer services to remove the old Account.

Thus is starting to become a CROCK.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @Perceptive, the deleting of the old account can take a few days to complete.
If you've another email address that hasn't been used as a BTID before you can set that up as the BTID with account holder status and your MyBT will work ok on that email address.

Cheers

John

Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I did try to change the ID email address on the MyBT and it changed both Accounts.

I am not trying to put it back.

0 Ratings