cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Online gaming issues

I'm at my wits end. For a few months now I have had the issue of not being able to play Fifa 24 and Battlefield 2042. I'm on Ps5 and have never had thus issue before. If I'm online gaming and someone in the other room starts a streaming service get strong lag spikes and high pings. I have spoke with BT and they say everything is fine there end. I know I should be able to game and stream without issue as I have done in the past. It's only really been since I went to BT from EE. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm running ethernet from smart hub 2 to my ps5. I have also replaced the amazon fire stick with a roku device and the issues still happens. 

1000007259.jpg

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Online gaming issues

I would expect lag and ping spikes on a 47/9Mbps connection if someone spun up a movie in the other room and I was gaming, especially when the content first loads then I would expect it to settle after the streaming device has filled its buffer. Latency can be effected as you saturate your bandwidth, games like FC24 (I play alot) and Battlefield (or any FPS) rely on optimum latency of the best gaming experience. With that said Netflix 4K only requires 15Mbps apparently.

Are you on FTTP 50/10?

Are you they streaming from a NAS or just Amazon, Netflix the usual suspects?

What is your ping normally, like if you did an Ookla speed test?

Whats most remarkable is that you went from EE to BT 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply, I went from EE to BT as I was told I could get faster and cheaper bb, it is a home essential pack, I don't use 4k netflix but yes you are right in a higher ping when it starts streaming but then it never settles. You can get a graph chart on battlefield and it shows you when the spike happens and when it settles, unfortunately it doesn't seem to settle on fifa 24 fut. I was streaming from an amazon stick but changed it to a roku, I even get the high ping if I download a game on ps5 while playing fifa. Again I never had this issue up until 3 months ago. Been with BT about 5 months. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

You'll definitely get a high ping when downloading a game on the PS5, this will saturate the entire download bandwidth.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Yes but I have never had the issue before of not being able to play online due to it. Is there anything that can be done? It's 2024 now and I'm sure I should be able to play and stream, not the old days where if the land line rang the Internet cut out hahaha 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

I dont think thats the point though.

Even with my 900Mbps connection if I download a game via the PS5 or Steam on my PC for that matter the download will more or less max out my connection, even I cant do that during gaming, it would destroy my latency, I would need to apply traffic management in my LAN to insure that doesnt happen, IE limit each device to a lower bandwidth.

Downloading a game on the PS5 is a definite no go when trying to game at the same time (online), the other issue is more nuanced as streaming via the normal platforms should be consuming around 10Mbps as a generalization so your ping shouldnt be effected as much.

What is your ping normally? I know you cant tell on FC24.....as the last time I checked there were no EA Servers (at least for FC24) in the UK, so you could expect a worse ping off the bat with this so it would suffer more.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

This is Battlefield 2024 from start to a couple of minutes in and also firing up netflix. 

1000007268.jpg

1000007269.jpg

1000007270.jpg

1000007271.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Should probably stop and ask if you had a faster package over at EE?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I have a bt engineer out tomorrow, also bt is faster than ee.

1000007273.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

So problem fixed, my phone is used as a mobile hot-spot, the roku is connected to my phone and my phone is connected to the bt router. So now I can play and watch TV so the issue is the bt router.

0 Ratings