cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Only getting half of Full Fibre 900

Go to solution

Afternoon all,

Literally just had full fibre installed at my property (OR engineer left an hour ago).

I’ve gone for the Full Fibre 900 package but after testing (via wifi and directly) I only appear to be getting half that.

I know I’m jumping the gun and have to let the line “settle” and leave it a few days but is there potentially a router limit/ cap or something I need to switch off before I call BT on Monday if things dont improve?

I’ve gone from 40Mb down to 400+ Mb so I’m not complaining, just want what I’m paying for thats all

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Only getting half of Full Fibre 900

Go to solution

do a spped test on the mybt ap and see what it says the speed the the sh2 is

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I think I have an unrealistic view of how much wifi I should be getting.

the MyBT speed tests says I’m getting well in excess of 900Mb to the hub but via wifi to my phone its between 450-520 (which is amazing by the way I’m not complaining)

In my head I was expecting wifi speeds of maybe 700+ probably unrealistically. 

My Sky Glass and PS5 can now be hardwired to the router so at least they will be getting the top end speeds

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

yeh max i get on wifi is about 350 which is loads for a phone I have my NAS and server hard wired and they do all large file downloads which need the full bandwidth 

Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @samharman88 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking at your speed results I'd say you've got a fantastic connection. @JonMace is obviously correct, wireless will always be slower than hard wired.

Cheers

David

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks @DavidM and @JonMace  for your words of advice.

I agree its a brilliant connection, definitely 10x the speeds I was getting before so I’m Definitely not complaining I was just wondering if it gets throttled at all

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

BT do not throttle any connection, ADSL, VDSL or FTTP.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

You won't get near 900Mbps over Wi-Fi unless you have a Wi-Fi 6,6e, 7 router, and the device you're using also supports Wi-Fi 6 etc.

I've managed 550Mbps down over Wi-Fi 5, but my average is about 530Mbps.

Screenshot_20221117_231157_Speedtest.jpg

--
https://warehamwx.co.uk/
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

I was interested to have the same performance, 900+ directly connected, around 400 on a laptop next to the router and around only 100 upstairs in the office. 

I'm intrigued as to why there's such a big drop off in speed when adjacent to the router. Others have posted that the hardware will just not perform at those speeds, but it's the router BT supply and as I understand it, wifi works at the speeds of light so how come there's such a dramatic drop in performance. I'm considering wiring Cat 6 cables all over the house now!

Any tech heads out there can explain I'd be most grateful.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Wifi, is rated on max theoretical speeds not real world speeds. So takes no account of any interferance, distance, over heads etc.

Also Wifi is only capable of transmitting in one direction at a time, where as wired is bidirectional so depending on what you are doing wifi will only be half the true speed of wired 

0 Ratings