cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Open Reach Master Socket 5c and Full Fibre

Hi all

We have Openreach booked for the 13th to instal full fibre. 

Quick question, is the Master socket 5c compatible. Only asking as the cabling from outside to the master socket has been fitted in trunking from when we had some building work done. Will Openreach need to run a new cable or can they use the master socket 5c cabling that we already have ?

thanks all

Geiff 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Open Reach Master Socket 5c and Full Fibre

The master socket 5c is copper, it isn't used for full fibre. A new fibre cable will be installed to an optical modem (ONT).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

The old master socket is not used with FTTP. A new "fibre modem" will be installed inside your house.

If  you consult with the fitter he/she will endeavour to fit it where you want. It needs to be near to a power supply. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the reply 

Might have to re think the position as I really don’t want a cable tacked to the skirting and architrave up the hallway 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The new build estate I'm on had the copper phone lines in conduit, and some of my neighbours have been lucky enough to have their fibre fed through that same conduit and have the ONT (fibre modem) mounted in the location of the old master socket.  I say some because the conduit was put in place by builders and not very well, making it impossible for some of us to have the fibre fed through!  My direct neighbours went through mine wouldn't.

On the tacking cable to the skirting board, I have white flat CAT7 or 8 (cant remember which) running along the top of some skirting board and if you didn't know it was there you'd never spot it!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Do you all think it would be worth a call to ask if they drop some cable to me I could do the internal runs?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

That is not possible, you cannot run the fibre cable yourself. The ONT and Hub don't have to be co-located. You can always run a length of Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable from the ONT to hub yourself if you wish to site the hub remotely.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

As @licquorice says, you can't run the fibre yourself.  You can, however, run trunking/conduit for the fibre to be pulled through.  I wanted my ONT in an internal cupboard, so I ran flexible conduit (with a draw string) under the floor and through the rear wall where I knew the fibre would be entering.  The technician on the day was very happy to use this to get the ONT exactly where I wanted it.

Message 9 of 9

@Crimliar 

Our new-build master socket is in the understairs cupboard but on checking the external Openreach box it seems as though the builders ran their own cable from the outside to the master socket point as I can't see any sign of a conduit leading into the house so we may be in the position of having the ONT where the CSP will  replace the existing external box & an Ethernet cable to the router in the understairs cupboard. 

I'll do ours in flat white cable along the top of the skirting board, round one of the door frames, along some more skirting board & into the understairs cupboard.

0 Ratings