cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Installation of Full Fibre

Go to solution

It will be several months before we can switch to BT & get full fibre installed but we may as well get the advice well in advance.

Our house was a new build in 2014 & we currently have FTTC from Plusnet ( who we'll be leaving as they don't offer VOIP) with the copper wire coming from the road underground junction chamber via underground ducting to the external BT box at the house & from there a wire goes to the master socket in the understairs cupboard.

The understairs cupboard houses the Plusnet Hub 2 router & also the Ethernet patch plate which feeds the Ethernet cables to eight Ethernet points around the house.

Ideally we'd like the same route for the full fibre cabling.

Is that the sort of thing Openreach would try to do? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Installation of Full Fibre

Go to solution

openreach would normally follow the existing copper route providing duct is not now blocked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply, fingers crossed for no blocked ducts.

There was one other question, most of the rooms also have phone points so if we could persuade Openreach to leave the master socket in situ we were thinking that we could connect it to the Hub 2 router & the points would work with VOIP.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
The master socket would be left in situ , if you wanted to incorporate the existing phone sockets by connecting the router phone socket into the existing sockets ( voice re injection ) you could ask the installer to disconnect the external copper cable from the rear of the master socket , that way no superfluous conditions from the external network can interfere with your internal setup .
If your current master socket is in a cupboard some distance from the the eternal wall where the duct appears, that copper cable was likely installed at first fix , so behind the finished wall surfaces , if it possible ( and it may not be ) to put the ONT in the same location, there will be surface wiring
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

From what you say I think our best option would be to have the ONT fitted on the internal wall where the fibre cable enters the house as there are two power points adjacent to where that would be & the router could be in the understairs cupboard as it's connected to the ONT via an Ethernet cable. 

That way there's less chance of a surface mounted run of fibre cable to get damaged.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Right I've made the move, 500 Mb full fibre with unlimited phone calls.

The Openreach engineer visit is scheduled for the afternoon of the 27th October.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Excellent, update this when it’s in 👍

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@iniltous 

I certainly will, we can't wait now.

I'm going to make it easy for the Openreach engineer by having the ONT immediately on the inner wall behind the CSP box as there are power points there.

I can then run an Ethernet cable to the router in the understairs cupboard.

Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I am not  normally a  complainer and if  unable to post a positive i tend to say nothing, but  having a negative experience Re my recent Fibre 1 upgrade  i thought sharing it with others  awaiting this might prove helpful. 

The installer appeared harassed on arrival and during via hurry up  phone calls from his  employer Re your needed on another job.  Worst still  he told me he was not employed by BT but worked for a Sub contractor. He then said he did not like doing BT installations and much preferred installing similar upgrades for other company's. Not what i wished to hear from someone who was about to start drilling holes in my home. 

When he finished the job i asked him to set up the two new BT phones  i bought as part of the package and BT  had told me this would be done as part of the job. His response was they are probably plug and play so  you can do this yourself.  I am an OAP and not tech minded so this  caused me additional unwanted grief.

He did not clear up any of the internal or external mess caused by his drilling, and later  when i turned on my TV it said " faulty connection contact your   broad band provider " .  It took me 2 hours to sort this which was down to the fact that he had not connected the Yellow  lead which i belated discovered was still in the packaging. !

In conclusion now every thing is sorted i am  pleased that i went for the upgrade  but the installation process was not a positive experience.  At no time did BT mention that the work might not be done by one of there own  employees  and i feel this aspect should be addressed.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@mick60 

I've seen subcontracting firms doing both cable laying & installations in our town so it may be that Openreach can't cope with the surge in demand.

I'm fortunate that I don't need the engineer to do anything other than install the ONT box but I suppose he'll have to connect the router & test it but he can locate it next to the ONT box & I'll relocate it to where it needs to be after he's left.

However, an engineer should not assume that everyone is tech savvy, & it's not an age related thing as I'm 79, & make sure that everything works & answer all questions.

Unless, like me, you tell the engineer that he doesn't need to set up & test the TV etc.