cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Openreach Master Socket in an awkward position

I recently purchased a new BT FTTC broadband-only connection for my flat that I'm renting and discovered that my Master Socket (as pictured) is in an awkward position next to the entrance hallway to my flat that is quite narrow, causing a trip hazard. 

I have a technician scheduled to install my kit on the 21st of April. I'm hoping to have the socket moved (or extended, assuming it won't impact my connection quality).

What can I expect from the technician? Would they be able to move the socket someplace that's more sensible, like behind my TV console where my previous Virgin Media connection came in from? 

I'm just trying to understand what my options are, so I'm better prepared. Thank you for sharing your expertise! 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Openreach Master Socket in an awkward position

have you ordered FTTC again so just the same as there currently?.  if so unlikely there will be an engineer visit as everything in your home is set up just for you to connect SH2 and the line to be remotely activated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your response. I've lived in this property for the last 1.5 years and always had Virgin Media, so no experience with Openreach ISPs so far. 

I'm switching to BT due to chronic issues with VM and as part of the new line purchase, I was offered an installation appointment (Apr 21 b/w 0800-1300 hrs.). I'm guessing they must have decided I'm not eligible for a self-install, based on their records for this property.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

so is it FTTC or FTTP you have ordered?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I've ordered FTTC Fibre 2. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The chances are your socket can be made ‘live’ without an engineer visit , you are given an appointment just in case an engineer is required get your line working , but it’s likely that you will get a text saying something along the lines as ‘ your line should now be working, if it isn’t call or text *****’ and you would connect the router to the master socket yourself, if it’s working, no visit is required.

Even if you get an installer visit , there is no visible cable into the existing master socket , so the chances are the cable was provided , possibly at first fix , or during renovations, into the back of the pattress box the master socket is fitted to , if this is the case , it cannot really be moved , this existing cable into the back of the socket pretty much determines the location of the socket , an extension socket could be provided from the master socket to another location but the provision of extension sockets is probably not covered by a regular ‘installation’ .

How is the cable from outside delivered ? , is there a telegraph pole outside with a dropwire to the property, in which case it’s possible, if you do see an installer , they could abandon the existing internal wiring and socket and provide new wiring and a new master socket from where the dropwire from the pole enters the property, but the existing master socket  doesn’t look like it’s provided via an overhead feed , so the cable to the back of the existing socket may be the only cable that can be used , this would mean the existing socket has to be used.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I don't know if it still applies but there used to be an FOC data extention up to 30mts originally. May be worth enquiring.

0 Ratings