cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Orange and white

ok so have a BT box I want to move to a different room and have enough cable to cut it where it is to go to the new room I want it. I have open the box up and see there are only two cables connecting it orange and white. White into the (A) and the orange being in the (B) so guessing I would cut the cable and connect the same back up and will work ???? 

Also is this a old way the orange and white cable is there anything newer for faster speeds ??? Or are orange and white cable suffice enough or can this be upgraded? 

IMG20220906131819.jpg

IMG20220906195851~2.jpg

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Orange and white

No, its normal external grade cable colour scheme. The type of cable will make absolutely zero difference to your speed.

I strongly recommend that you don't cut and join the cable as it belongs to Openreach and if a fault developed you might get an unexpected bill. Entirely up to you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hay no I don't plan on patching a cable on to it it will be that cable I will just be moving it from downstairs to upstairs on the same cable but I will have to cut it to get it out my window and will just us the same cable in its new position upstairs ☺️ 

So is that cable good enough for fast speeds?? Or would it be worth phoning BT and see if they do some upgrade?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Depends what you mean by "fast speeds". The standard copper cable will be good enough for FTTC & assuming it isn't faulty, the speed will be largely determined by the distance to the street cabinet. Have you checked to see what services/speeds are available?

BT Broadband Checker

If FTTP is available then that would be provided by a new fibre cable.

0 Ratings