cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Over 15 engineers to my address - Broadband still dropping out

Posting here out of desperation as I've been stuck in this loop for the past few months.

I have BT Fibre 2, and have been connected for around 2/3 months.

My broadband speeds are perfect, however, multiple times a day (from 1-30) the internet will stop, and the hub will go orange, then around 1-5 minutes later the broadband will reconnect.

As the title says, I've had around 15 engineers, Cube and Openreach, to my address. Every time, they come around and test the line, say that there's no errors, close out their fault. Then after they've left, about an hour later, I disconnect exactly the same way as before.

I'm at my whits end here, I call BT again to tell them the problem is still here, they book another openreach engineer, then the cycle repeats. I can't escalate because BT can't ask that in their ticket to Openreach, so I get the same engineers who come around, say the same things then leave, and the problem still persists.

I can't have reliable video calls for work, if I'm interviewing or in an important meeting, I have to go to mobile hotspot otherwise I risk the connection dropping randomly.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Over 15 engineers to my address - Broadband still dropping out

@captainadamj99 

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

Is there any noise on your phone calls?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Number 7

Not sure if my line is noisy, don't have a physical handset to plug in.

However, the multiple engineers who've visited the property say that the noise on the line was within acceptable limits

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

@captainadamj99 

That master socket is know to give disconnection issues, very similar to what you are describing.

Please can you connect things up as shown below, leave it like that for a couple of days, and see if you still get the disconnections. You will need to unclip the front filter, and use a microfilter instead.

If you can get hold of a phone to check for noise, then that would also be helpful, as noise will cause disconnections.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Done, will report back if I'm still disconnecting

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

The socket is of very poor design, and relies on everything to be perfectly square and the clips to hold things together, otherwise there is very poor contact between the front filter, and the test socket behind. And slight bit of vibration will break the connection, even someone walking past it.

Please update this thread with the results.

As a precaution I have asked a moderator to monitor this thread, just in case more help is needed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Unfortunately, as of a few minutes ago I've had a disconnect in the same fashion as before.

Internet stopped on my pc + phone, then a few seconds later hub goes purple then orange.

Looks like this hasn't fixed the issue

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

That proves that the fault is on the external network and will need a special investigation.

Does the hub disconnect even if you are not using the Internet, as there was an issue a while back, where home hubs would disconnect if a large upload was in progress?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

The last openreach engineer that came round went up the poles and up to the cabinet and said that the tests came back fine. I've got another one coming on Monday.

It happens when I'm using and not using the network. I've checked the uptime after waking up on a few occasions and it's only a few hours, so it's disconnecting at night when nothings on.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Have BT sent you a replacement home hub, in case yours is faulty?

0 Ratings