cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Placement of ONT

I'm having FTTP installed next week, and I'm trying to work out if where I want the ONT to be placed will be possible.

The current copper line comes in next to the front door from underground. Behind it in the hallway is where the master socket is. There's only one power socket in the hallway and there's no convenient place for the router in that location. I know I can have the ONT installed and use an ethernet cable to connect the router elsewhere, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Is it possible to install the CSP in the same place as the copper line, and instead of installing the ONT directly behind it, running a cable externally round the side of the house and installing the ONT in a more convenient place internally?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Placement of ONT

I had mine installed last week and they were happy to put the CSP somewhere different and run it to the room I needed it in upstairs. There was no way they would get to the current master socket so it worked out easiest for us both.

I can't praise Gavin that came to do our install enough, he was helpful and considerate throughout and went out of his way to try and get around a fault on the circuit that was affecting the street. He even came back to confirm when it was fixed days later.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

The fibre cable from the CSP to the ONT is designed mainly for internal use, so it is preferable to keep any external run of that as short as possible.  The fibre from the CBT to the CSP is more rugged, and it's usually possible to run that around the outside wall of the house to a preferred entry point - ideally with the CSP and ONT on opposite sides of the same external wall.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@ptrduffywrote:

The fibre cable from the CSP to the ONT is designed mainly for internal use, so it is preferable to keep any external run of that as short as possible.  The fibre from the CBT to the CSP is more rugged, and it's usually possible to run that around the outside wall of the house to a preferred entry point - ideally with the CSP and ONT on opposite sides of the same external wall.

That's a new one. The run from the CSP to ONT has no relation to the CBT. Would you care to elaborate on your erroneous assertion?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Could you elaborate on your request for elaboration? My post pretty much says that the two runs are unrelated to each other, so I'm not sure what it is you're saying is erroneous (although it wouldn't be the first time I've been erroneous...)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

"The fibre cable from the CSP to the ONT is designed mainly for internal use, so it is preferable to keep any external run of that as short as possible."

From the CSP to where the fibre enters the property can be any length. The external run can be from the CSP (at the front) to the rear of the property or from ground floor upawards and around an external wall.. Your assertion fails on that alone.

There is no retsriction of the run length from the CSP.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Fair enough, I stand (or sit) corrected - I was told by the engineer who did my install that he was limited to 10m from the CSP to the ONT, but maybe that was just what he had available on the day.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

The actual Inside Out Cable Openreach use comes in lengths of 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50m.

On a Standard Installation the Engineer is officially only supposed to do a maximum of 10m internally.

Personally I wouldn’t have any done internally as they have to strip the Inside Out Cable down to the 3mm Micron Core Layer, which has little protection as well as the fact it looks awful tacked to a skirting board.

For internal runs I would prefer to use White EZ Bend Fibre, that’s what Openreach used originally on BFT. This is much thicker cable, which is better protected and can be cleated using 5mm Cleats, which looks much better than staples from a Tac Gun.

Message 9 of 12

Hi 

Your other option is to have the ONT installed where the master socket is (in fact it should replace it) Ask the Engineer to install some external ethernet cable which you can run from your ONT back outside and round the house to where you want it to enter to connect to your router.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@Ewan1  What makes you think PTTP installers carry external ethernet cable?

The CSP can be intalled front of house the Fibreoptic around the building. Quite a normal install. The master socket has no bearing on where the ONT should be installed.