cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Pole Allocation Change for FTTP

My closest pole is about 10m away behind our house on the adjacent road. A few months ago Openreach came and upgraded it to full fibre. So far no one has taken full fibre from that pole so it's at 0% capacity. Frustratingly they didn't bother to put full fibre on the poles on our street and according to their website have no plans to in 2022.

The nearest pole on our street is over 20m away so it's more logical to use the one closer to our property. I want to know if there's a way of getting our property reassigned to our nearest pole, which would then allow us to order FTTP.

We currently don't have any Openreach cables coming to our house (not even copper). We're a long way from the fibre street cabinet so most people in our area stick with Virgin due to the poor broadband speed we currently get from FTTC. I'd like to try another provider if we can just get Openreach to make this simple allocation change on their system.

Anyone know if and how this is possible?

House-compress.png
(Although BT are allowed to fly wires over other properties as per the red line in the image, they could route the fibre cable via the street lamp behind our garden and then across to our house if the wish - see the yellow line in the image.)

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Pole Allocation Change for FTTP

This is a BT retail forum and has absolutely no connection with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Thank you for your input. I felt that this might be a good community to ask for help on because I'm sure that some people knowledgeable in BT stuff may well also be knowledgeable on Openreach stuff.

Message 4 of 19

The short answer is that it is Openreach, who build and own the infrastructure and decide the routing. It is very unlikely that they will change their routing or plans.

See link.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/questions-about-fibre-availability

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Thanks for the link. Is there a Q&A that refers to pole reassignment? The one on our road with no FTTP doesn't have a good line of sight due to the way on road curves round so if we had their copper line the cable would need fastening onto the neighbour's house to ensure it didn't just hit against it in the wind. Not sure they can insist on that.

Reassigning to our nearest pole behind us has direct line of sight, is much closer and has FTTP. I just need to speak to someone at Openreach to explain this. Any ideas how to go about this?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Openreach only deal with ISPs and not the general public.

The only way that Openreach might change anything would be if you were to pay for it and that would no doubt run into thousands of pounds.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

So will BT help to arrange this with Openreach?

We currently don't have any cable coming from any pole to our house. So it's not like we're asking them to alter any existing cabling.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

if you cannot order FTTP from BT then BT will not request openreach to change/add fibre to your pole

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Hopeless just as I thought. Openreach installed FTTP on the streets that are Housing Association/Council properties but failed to install FTTP on the street with privately owned houses. So the people more likely to pay for a premium service don't get it. Makes total sense.

We're the last street before miles of fields so just to leave us out instead of completing the entirety of the area seems totally wacky!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Gosh, I never knew council tennants could not afford  premium services and that it was only private owners who could afford them. You live and learn!