cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Poor fault resolution

Our fibre connection was snapped in the storm just over a week ago, BT said they’d have someone to repair it last Thursday, sadly the engineer they sent out wasn’t qualified to fix it and since then there has been no action to resolve it. This has left us with no internet and no home phone since they made us put the landline through the fibre connection. The stay connected hub they sent out is useless given that we only get a mobile signal in the house if the wind is in the right direction. We have told them since we have someone in the house that is quite ill that having no way of communicating with the outside world is a real concern for us but BT really don’t appear to be interested. Is there an ombudsman or body who controls BT that can give them a push to actually fix a broken fibre connection or have they total control given the monopoly they hold over connections to households?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Poor fault resolution

@gs42 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Its Openreach that provide and maintain the external network, fibre faults can be difficult to identify and repair.

I can ask a moderator to take a look at the reason why its taking so long. They may reply here.

You will be paid automatic compensation.

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/automatic-compensation

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi @gs42 and welcome back.

Great to see you again. Sorry there's been delays getting the fault fixed for you. I can check what's happening with it. I've sent you a private message so check your inbox and drop me over the details.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

To be fair, if you have a fibre overhead connection and you can see it has been brought down in a storm it is fairly straightforward to diagnose what needs to be done!

What is more worrying is that technicians without fibre training are being sent out to properties with FTTP in this circumstance.

Message 5 of 12

Thanks for all the replies, it is poor that BT knew what the fault was early on yet OpenReach sent an unqualified engineer to fix it, they appear to pass the buck back and forth between BT and OpenReach and get nowhere at all. Amazing that you can spend a considerable amount every year for fibre broadband yet they show no interest at all in maintaining the service. If it were any other company they would be out of business by now given the shoddy service they provide yet they have a monopoly and don't care at all about their customers.

As to sending all that private information in a private message here including bank details, no thanks, even when you contact BT direct they don't want bank details.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@gs42 

You should not have been required to send bank details.

This is what is normally requested by a moderator.

Account holder name:
Relationship to the account holder(if different):
Account number:
Contact telephone number:
Full address and Postcode:
Email address:
Brief description of the issue:

Last bill amount:

This is basic information needed to identify you and your account, and the moderator is not allowed to access BT systems without this information, that is BTs internal data protection policy.

Do not post any of that requested information here, reply to the private message.

Check that the private message did come from a moderator, and not someone else.

Message 7 of 12

@gs42 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, it is poor that BT knew what the fault was early on yet OpenReach sent an unqualified engineer to fix it, they appear to pass the buck back and forth between BT and OpenReach and get nowhere at all. Amazing that you can spend a considerable amount every year for fibre broadband yet they show no interest at all in maintaining the service. If it were any other company they would be out of business by now given the shoddy service they provide yet they have a monopoly and don't care at all about their customers.

What leads you to the conclusion that every customer has the same 'shoddy service' that you have had, do you have access to the data?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

if that is your only input to my problem or what you take from my complaint then I can only presume you work for BT. I didn’t state that ‘every’ customer receives the same service but even if only a small percentage receive such poor service then they’re failing to provide the service they are advertising and charging for. 
if you’d rather pick fault with my comment rather than offer a solution that maybe says more about you than anything else. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@gs42 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself and @licquorice , are just customers trying to help.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@gs42 wrote:

if that is your only input to my problem or what you take from my complaint then I can only presume you work for BT. I didn’t state that ‘every’ customer receives the same service but even if only a small percentage receive such poor service then they’re failing to provide the service they are advertising and charging for. 
if you’d rather pick fault with my comment rather than offer a solution that maybe says more about you than anything else. 

You were offered assistance by one of the mods (the only BT employees on the forum) yet seem reluctant to accept it but rather make generalisations about poor service based on just your experience.

0 Ratings