cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Possible Home Essential Fibre 2 Speed Capped

Go to solution

Hello BT Community,

I have just got my mum broadband for the first time and as she receives pension credit she got Home Essential Fibre 2.

The speeds she was estimated to get was 45 - 50 mb download / 8 - 9 mb upload, she has got 50mb / 10mb, so the speeds are so far reasonably accurate

My question is though is she being artificially capped at the cabinet / exchange as a neighbour has also got fibre 2 but receives 70 / 20 mb.

The reason I ask is that I cannot figure out why the speed would be higher as both properties are served from the same exchange, same cabinet and the same distance from the cabinet (around 200M).

The only difference I can figure is the individual cables from the pole to the properties.

Is there any way to find out if the speed my mum is getting is the fastest she can receive or if ther is some speed capping going on.

She was also one of the last residents in the area to get broadband installed so I am not sure if the cabinet is virtually full and so last one in gets slowed down.

The technical log says maximum data rate as 64mb / 18 mb, so are these speeds obtainable.

Technical Log Screenshot.png

Broadband 33v1.pngAbove is her direct opposite neighbours data information.

Broadband 32v1.png

This is my mum's data information, though as she has now also got digital voice unfortunately the number is no longer recognised on BT Broadband availability checker and so can only use the address that has less information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Possible Home Essential Fibre 2 Speed Capped

Go to solution

What does your mum do with the internet? Does she stream multiple 4K TV channels simultaneously? If not her speed is more than adequate. She is on Fibre 1 rather than Fibre2

Not sure what the speeds are capped at for Home Essential

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply.

The speeds are not capped by Home Essentials Fibre 2 as it's just a social tarrif (cheaper price), so the speeds should be exactly the same as Fibre 2.

The speed is probably not necessary but if you are paying to get it, then why not ask why you're not gettig it.

The two propeties are identical except for the received speeds and I would just like to know why the discrepency (Neighbour on Fibre 2 and mum on Home Essentials Fibre 2).

Interestingly this is what is now listed on BT's Home Essential webpage for mum's property.

Home essentials 32.png

But this is what she has got though it matches what the BT Home Essential website stated before it was ordered, it has changed today.

My BT.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

As already stated, she is capped at Fibre 1 speeds, whether that should be so or not I don't know.

Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you again for the reply.

I'll contact BT direct to find out.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@ngr49erwrote:

The speeds are not capped by Home Essentials Fibre 2 as it's just a social tarrif (cheaper price), so the speeds should be exactly the same as Fibre 2.

The Home Essentials package has 2 speed options, the £15 plan is upto 40 mbps down and 10 mbps upload (40/10 SLT) or the £20 plan is up to 80 mbps down and 20 mbps upload (80/20 SLT)

Do you know if your mum pays £15 or £20 ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hello Richie,

Mum is on the £20 plan.

Spoke to BT customer services today and spoke to a manager based in Hull.

She saw that the speed could be higher (allegedly between 52 - 58 mb download and 15 - 17 mb upload from her end) but could not adjust directly.

She has instead moved mum from Home Essentials Fibre 2 to Fibre 2 (credited the extra amount) to get this speed upgrade.

Once this change happens (possibly tonight) she has arranged for an agent to ring me the next day to swap me back to Home Essentials Fibre 2 and then hopefully retain the speed upgrade.

It is not exactly the estimated speed than is now shown online via an address check listed in a previous post (and below) but I am hoping that the 55 / 10 limit will be changed to 80 / 20 and that we'll get the fastest speed possible without restriction.

Nigel

Fibre.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@ngr49er Hi Nigel, post back and let us know if that works. If you need any further help the moderators should be able to assist in getting your Mum back on the 80/20 profile.

Thanks

Neil

Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the response.

Once it gets sorted or doesn't, I'll reply on this thread to either close this post or ask for additional help.

Nigel
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

Just a quick update.

Was changed to Fibre2 overnight and have now got around 58mb download 17mb upload.

TL.png

Data rate is now virtually the same as maximumdata rate, so the switch has worked.

BT customer service has rang and confirmed change back Home Essentials Fibre 2 on Mon 14th and assuming everything remains the same, I'll post back then to close the thread.

Nigel

0 Ratings