cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: FTTP red end cat 5 question

Go to solution

Hi @Nicko1979 ,

I was wondering if you ever found a conclusive answer. I have the same problem. Using the red ended cable from ONT to the Router, i get around 500mbps. If i use a different cable, 10 meter in length CAT5e then the speed drops to around 100mbps. Theres something special about the red ended cable but I can't figure out what yet. The distance shouldn't be an issue.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Go to solution

There is absolutely nothing special about the red ended cable. However, your other cable may be faulty, it needs to be fully wired with all 8 connections.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I crimped the connectors myself. All 8 cores, straight through connections and cat 5e cable  UTP  solid cores 24awg.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Did you wire the pairs correctly?

Try crossover rather than straight.

licquorice_0-1669395393400.gif

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

As @licquorice said, the only possibility is that your DIY cable has a fault.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Did you check the cable you made with an Ethernet Cable Tester to ensure that they are all  correct and securely crimped.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Yep crimped all okay. The only difference between the red ended cable an my cable is that my cable is 24awg and BT's cable is 26 awg. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@Rubel1986 

Distance can be an issue when connection two consumer grade Ethernet devices.

Slight timing differences between the two network elements, can distort the Ethernet link pulse resulting in a fall-back speed of 100mbs instead of 1000mbs.

The intervention of a gigabit Ethernet switch at the distant end, can help to correct this timing issue, and allow full 1000mbs link speed between the modem and the home hub.

This issue can also arise on devices connected to the LAN side of the home hub.

As shown in this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Port-1-Dropping-all-the-time/m-p/2253159#M19797... 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Okay could be the distance. You think adding 9 meters in length and dropping from 26awg to 24 could be causing an issue? I can look at other cables to see if it changes anything. It seems my router knows I'm not using BT supplied cable and setting the speeds for 100mbps. When I log into the router it makes a suggestion as well to use the red ended cable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I can't see it being the length of the cable, I have a 20M CAT 5e cable going from the ONT to the router with no issues getting a 1000Mbps connection.

Have you got a cable tester, looks like one of the crimps hasn't worked if it drops to 100Mbps